Python Developer / Business Analyst, Risk
- Geneva, Switzerland
Vitol is a leader in the energy sector with a presence across the spectrum; from oil through to power, renewables and carbon. We trade 8 million barrels per day of crude oil and products and, at any time, have 250 ships transporting our cargoes.
Vitol’s clients include national oil companies, multinationals, leading industrial companies and utilities. Founded in Rotterdam in 1966, today Vitol serves clients from some 40 offices worldwide and is invested in energy assets globally including: circa 16mm3 of storage globally, 480kbpd of refining capacity, 7,000 service stations and a growing portfolio of transitional and renewable energy assets. Revenues in 2019 were $225 billion.
Are you a passionate, entrepreneurially minded Python developer who wants to build the systems that steer global energy flows? Do you thrive in a flat hierarchy, team-oriented environment that values ideas and individual contributions? Then we are looking for you to join us at Vitol!
We have developed our own Commodity Trading Risk Management (CTRM) system that covers all aspects of our business activities across the globe: from trade entry through the middle-office with P&L reporting, market risk management, credit, and compliance down to the invoicing and for whichever commodity we are trading – electricity, gas, coal, crude oil, LPG, or carbon emissions certificates. Vitol is unique in the energy trading world in making our CTRM the core of our business processes that everyone at Vitol works with, often on a daily basis.
In order to build the next generation of our valuation and risk system, we are looking for strong Python developers with an affinity for risk modelling and quantitative finance. As a core member of the Risk & PnL team, located in Geneva, Switzerland, you will:
- Become a key contributor in implementing a best-in-class risk framework used in distributed risk calculations and reports
- Interact with key business stakeholders and risk experts to develop effective functional designs of system components
- Develop a deep understanding of our trading business, specifically deal structures and risk management concepts
- Adhere to appropriate internal Python development standards within the SDLC
- Participate and contribute in design discussions and code review processes with the dev team
- Create effective technical designs and inline code documentation
What you need to bring
- University degree (Bachelor or Master) in Computer Science, Financial Engineering, or equivalent
- Excellent understanding of derivative risk concepts including option pricing and Greek risk measures
- 3+ years developing with Python on enterprise-level solutions
- Demonstrated experience in the development of robust, maintainable and extensible Python code
- Proven data modelling skills to translate business situations into data structures, proficiency in SQL
- Proficiency in SDLC management and practices, including peer-reviewing, code versioning, bug/issue tracking, and Agile/Scrum development routines
- Entrepreneurial drive, ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Full proficiency communicating in English in a business context (verbally & in writing)
Additional qualifications that can help you stand out
- Experience with PL/SQL (preferred) or a similar procedural DB programming language (e.g. T-SQL)
- Prior experience with building/extending a state-of-the-art commodities risk platform using Python
- Detailed knowledge of commodity financial and physical deal structures
- French language skills a plus (but not required)