Python Developer / Risk Strat (Front Office Risk Systems)
- London, UK
We are the world’s leading privately-owned energy and commodities trading company and sit at the heart of the global energy flows. Every day we use our expertise and logistical networks to distribute energy around the world, efficiently and responsibly. For over 50 years Vitol has served the world’s energy markets; we have some 40 offices worldwide.
Our people are our business: the company’s value derives ultimately from them. It is on their expertise, innovation, drive and relationships that we depend for the development and growth of our business. Talent is precious to us and we create an environment in which individuals can reach their full potential, unfettered by hierarchy.
Vitol has a flat, meritocratic organisational structure, which we believe encourages an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach. Being a global business, our people come from all over the world and represent a vibrant mix of different nationalities, educational backgrounds and life experiences. Learn more about us here.
Are you a passionate, entrepreneurially minded Python developer who wants to build the systems that steer global energy flows? Do you thrive in a flat hierarchy, team-oriented environment that values ideas and individual contributions? Then we are looking for you to join us at Vitol!
We have developed our own Commodity Trading Risk Management (CTRM) system that covers all aspects of our business activities across the globe: from trade entry through the middle-office with P&L reporting, market risk management, credit, and compliance down to the invoicing and for whichever commodity we are trading – electricity, gas, coal, crude oil, LPG, or carbon emissions certificates. Vitol is unique in the energy trading world in making our CTRM the core of our business processes that everyone at Vitol works with, often on a daily basis.
In order to build the next generation of our valuation and risk system, we are looking for strong Python developers with an affinity for risk modelling and quantitative finance. As a core member of the Risk & PnL team, located in London, UK you will:
- Develop a deep understanding of our trading business, specifically deal structures and risk management concepts
- Adhere to appropriate internal Python development standards within the SDLC
- Participate and contribute in design discussions and code review processes with the dev team
- Create effective technical designs and inline code documentation
What you need to bring
- University degree (Bachelor or Master) in Computer Science, Financial Engineering, or equivalent
- Excellent understanding of derivative risk concepts including option pricing and Greek risk measures
- 3+ years developing with Python on enterprise-level solutions
- Demonstrated experience in the development of robust, maintainable and extensible Python code
- Proven data modelling skills to translate business situations into data structures, proficiency in SQL
- Proficiency in SDLC management and practices, including peer-reviewing, code versioning, bug/issue tracking, and Agile/Scrum development routines
- Entrepreneurial drive, ability to work independently as well as in a team
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Full proficiency communicating in English in a business context (verbally & in writing)
Qualifications that will help you stand out
- Experience with PL/SQL (preferred) or a similar procedural DB programming language (e.g. T-SQL)
- Prior experience with building/extending a state-of-the-art commodities risk platform using Python
- Detailed knowledge of commodity financial and physical deal structures