VAS - Senior Research Analyst
Vitol is a leader in the energy sector with a presence across the spectrum; from oil through to power, renewables and carbon. It trades 8 million barrels per day of crude oil and products and, at any time, has 250 ships transporting its cargoes.
Vitol’s clients include national oil companies, multinationals, leading industrial companies and utilities. Founded in Rotterdam in 1966, today Vitol serves clients from some 40 offices worldwide and is invested in energy assets globally including: circa 16mm3 of storage globally, 480kbpd of refining capacity, 7,000 service stations and a growing portfolio of transitional and renewable energy assets. Revenues in 2019 were $225 billion.
For more information: www.vitol.com
The Senior Fuel Oil Research Analyst position is The work will focus on analysis of fundamentals and other price drivers to form a market view and influence risk deployment at Vitol Asia’s Fuel Oil desk. The core contribution is to maintain and develop fundamentally based trading balances, i.e., helping to quantify all the market information into unique variables that help deliver clear recommendations on trading strategies. The role is multifaceted and will require both strong quantitative and communication skills. Furthermore, quality-checking of own and peers’ data collection requires attention to detail; further developing our vessel tracking algorithms requires technical and programming skills; whilst reporting and engaging with the trading teams requires good relationship skills. The role is also characterised by a fair amount of ad-hoc research of topical issues in the fuel oil market..
- Conduct analysis of fuel oil markets to help support/challenge trading Books positions and contribute to strategy discussion
- Understand fundamentals and market moves and how they link back to trading and origination activity.
- Collaborate efficiently across regions and commodity lines to build alignment and promote better connectivity.
- Transform the analytical approach to embed more big-data approaches, algorithms as well as general automation.
- Co-develop, maintain and embed a suite of models to quantify fundamentals and link to price.
- Good degree in analytical or technical disciplines.
- Excellent written/ verbal communication and presentation skills.
- Meticulous, persistent with a sense of curiosity.
- Able to work in a team as well as independently.
- Good time management skills and able to meet deadlines.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in a similar quantitatively oriented role, supporting and providing recommendations for a commodity trading desk, preferably fuel oil.
- Creativity and problem solving.
- Analytical mindset.
- Results oriented and demonstrably commercial.
- Incisive and accurate judgment.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Outstanding communication and relationship management skills.
- Global outlook. Able to work across organizational and cultural boundaries.
- Team player, with an open non-political style and a high level of personal integrity.
- Energetic, resilient and resourceful, with an ability to work accurately under pressure.
Only successful candidates will be notified.
Vitol Asia is committed to providing equal opportunities to all staff. Globally, Vitol seeks to conduct its business in accordance with the UN Global Compact’s ten principles, including those on human rights, one of which is to “Ensure a diverse and inclusive work place, where possible, free from discrimination regardless of age, gender, race, cultural heritage, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion or disability.”