- London, UK
We are the world’s leading privately-owned energy and commodities trading company and sit at the heart of the global energy flows. Every day we use our expertise and logistical networks to distribute energy around the world, efficiently and responsibly. For over 50 years Vitol has served the world’s energy markets; we have some 40 offices worldwide.
Our people are our business: the company’s value derives ultimately from them. It is on their expertise, innovation, drive and relationships that we depend for the development and growth of our business. Talent is precious to us and we create an environment in which individuals can reach their full potential, unfettered by hierarchy.
Vitol has a flat, meritocratic organisational structure, which we believe encourages an entrepreneurial and collaborative approach. Being a global business, our people come from all over the world and represent a vibrant mix of different nationalities, educational backgrounds and life experiences. Learn more about us here.
Are you a passionate, entrepreneurially minded quant/engineer who wants to help build a next-generation risk engine to value and drive global energy flows? Do you thrive in a flat hierarchy, team-oriented environment that values ideas and individual contributions? Then we are looking for you to join us at Vitol!
As a Core Strat, you will help to completely redesign the way we value our trading book and assess risks – from vanilla forward trades to complex financial and physical deals with rich embedded optionality. We are growing rapidly and are looking for exceptional candidates to help us deliver on a market-leading risk platform that will be the foundation for our traders’ daily decision-making. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our traders in various commodity markets, ranging from power, LNG, natural gas and oil to carbon certificates and guarantees of origin, as well as with our desk-affiliates quants and the various software engineering teams at Vitol.
As a core member of the Risk Systems team, located in London, you will:
- Work directly with our Risk Architect to build the core components of the risk platform
- Collaborate closely with our quant teams to implement high-performance pricers for our full spectrum of physical and financial trades
- Integrate proprietary market feeds and internally generated data into the risk platform to provide intra-day, near real-time functionality to users
- Architect APIs to expose functionality to our trading desks and to various GUIs
- In the initial stages, help define and configure the platform’s infrastructure, based on platform scalability requirements and in close exchange with our Risk Architect
- Partner with our traders and Commercial Analysts across the globe to refine the platform’s functions using real-life trades from selected pilot desks
- Strive to implement clean, well-documented, tested, and extensible code
What you need to bring
- 5+ years’ experience/full proficiency in C++; 2+ years’ experience in Python
- Substantial prior experience with implementing a risk/pricing/trade valuation engine in C++
- Versatile, well-rounded software engineering skills; outstanding analytical ability to break down requirements into components and architect a system that fully addresses these requirements
- Ability to rapidly learn new functional and technical concepts and apply them to a given challenge
- Experience implementing high-performance algorithms & grid computations
- Master’s/PhD in computer science, applied mathematics, financial engineering, or an equivalent field from a top university
- Entrepreneurial drive to build a completely new risk system within a small core quant/dev team
- Strong interest in financial and commodities markets
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to drive interactions with stakeholders
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize and meet agreed-upon deadlines
- Excellent English oral and written skills
Qualifications that will help you stand out
- Experience with parallel programming, high-frequency data processing, algorithmic trading, or similar
- SysAdmin experience, e.g. cloud infrastructure, Redis, Kafka, CMake, network sockets tech
- Prior exposure to third-party risk platforms (such as Beacon), e.g. as a user in a quant team
- Prior experience with financial and physical energy commodities trading, especially power trading
- Team player
- Self-motivated with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and manage changing priorities
- Able to work in a high pressure on-call environment with changing priorities
- Proactive and customer focused “make it work” mentality
- Highly responsive, energetic and enthusiastic
- Resourceful and able to think creatively and adapt