Systems Development Engineer (Linux)
- Seattle, WA
Webtellect operates with the zeal of a start-up, to provide expert software design and development services to a suite of clients. We are not the firm where folks can put the feet up, enjoy a paycheck, and mill around the water cooler. We are the firm that is passionate about technology, and utilizing such in the pursuit of solving business and real-world challenges. Work hard, play harder. Our clients have defined budgets and we are held to higher expectations. We have various vertical markets we attack offering relevant solutions, and therefore we do not live and breathe in only a "single technology" or "one-technology-fits-all mindset." Each project potentially offers something new. We have a driving passion for software excellence. Feathers in our cap includes the development of interactive exhibits for the Visitor Center of the world’s largest philanthropic organization, custom enterprise platform development for the largest drilling company in the U.S. Oil and Gas industry, Medical Record solutions, and giving back to our community through various programs.
The team operates highly available, scalable, fast, and efficient websites. If you are interested in running some of the world’s largest websites, then this could be the role for you.
To help drive operational costs to the floor we are actively recruiting Systems Engineers to operate our existing fleets, analyze and tune hardware/software configurations, automate existing manual processes and identify improvements to our existing tools. This exciting and high impact role will involve working with a wide range of other technical and business groups.
- Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical failures in high pressure situations
- Build innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems in Ruby, Python, Perl or Java
- Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly and fix them so they don't come back
- Understand how a scalable, modern, cloud-hosted application stack works from top to bottom
- Several years’ in-depth experience with performance analysis, systems software, and systems architecture
- Shell scripting and expertise in at least 1 high level language (Python, Java, Ruby, Perl etc)
- Ability to operate in high pressure environment and troubleshoot complex issues quickly successfully handle multiple priorities
- In depth knowledge & experience of Linux and Apache
- Excellent communication, prioritization and analytical skills
- Knowledge of system performance methodologies along with hands on empirical monitoring data driven decision making
- Experience deploying or managing large scale distributed Linux environments
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking and network architecture
- Expert level Linux admin skills.
- Knowledge and experience of load balancer technologies, Apache or other web servers
- Understanding of TCP/IP networking, architecture and core technologies (DNS, LDAP, HTTP etc.)
- Strong desire to build; sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Candidates should be passionate about Internet technology
- Experience deploying or managing distributed Linux environments, preferably at large scale
- Experience in driving best practices and mentoring/educating more junior Engineers
- Multiple openings both FTE and Contract
- No Visas allowed, no 3rd parties.
- Some travel required