Data Scientist / Research Developer Engineer
- Redmond, WA
Webtellect operates with the zeal of a start-up, to provide expert software design and development services to a suite of clients. We are not the firm where folks can put the feet up, enjoy a paycheck, and mill around the water cooler. We are the firm that is passionate about technology, and utilizing such in the pursuit of solving business and real-world challenges. Work hard, play harder. Our clients have defined budgets and we are held to higher expectations. We have various vertical markets we attack offering relevant solutions, and therefore we do not live and breathe in only a "single technology" or "one-technology-fits-all mindset." Each project potentially offers something new. We have a driving passion for software excellence. Feathers in our cap includes the development of interactive exhibits for the Visitor Center of the world’s largest philanthropic organization, custom enterprise platform development for the largest drilling company in the U.S. Oil and Gas industry, Medical Record solutions, and giving back to our community through various programs.
Our client, the Academic data science and engineering team within Microsoft Research, has an immediate opening for a Research SDE 3 focused on data engineering.
This elite team of researchers and engineers is working on algorithms, tools and experiences around internet technologies (search, big data, etc.). The team contributes key technology for major Microsoft flagship products (Bing, Cortana, Office, Windows & more!)
This project will focus on helping the team build a very large, strongly connected graph of Academic data (papers/publications, authors, affiliations, journals, conferences, topics, etc.) for use in multiple production applications. We’re looking for someone who has a strong background in data mining, information retrieval, document understanding and NLP and is passionate about working on hard problems with some of the best talent in the world.
- Quickly ramping up and understanding the scope and challenges of building a large connected graph responsible for powering production applications
- Design, implement and integrate proof of concepts for manipulating data in large connected graph
- Fast prototyping of different ideas for manipulating data to generate high quality results
- Working closely with data scientists to gather and iterate on feedback and requirements
- Building and maintaining data pipelines which process petabytes of data on a daily basis
- Solid understanding of CS fundamentals and mastering of statistical concepts
- Good understanding of database fundamentals and concepts
- Programming experience with C++/Java/C#
- Enjoy working with large-scale data and possess a mixture of software engineer and data scientist mindset
- Excellent communication skills and desire to collaborate in a multi-disciplinary environment
- Ability to work independently and ramp-up to new areas quickly
Nice to have
- Experience with Microsoft COSMOS platform and Scope scripting language a HUGE plus
- Experience with SQL and/or any Big Data platform
- Experience with information retrieval, document understanding and NLP
W2 only, no Visas allowed.
All work performed onsite.
Local candidates only (Redmond, WA)