- Denver, CO
Back in 1977, Denver was booming. Thousands of Baby Boomers were fleeing the coasts, lured to Colorado by the climate, the scenery, the promise of endlessly flowing Coors. But with the deluge came a dilemma: so many young, active people - and so little to read that told them what was happening in their increasingly dynamic city. That's why Westword was born.
As a result, www.westword.com has become both the first and the last stop of the day for anyone who wants to know what's going on in Denver. But the more things change, the more they stay the same: Every week, the print edition is also eagerly snatched up in college classrooms, coffeehouses, corporate offices and at the State Capitol by faithful readers who continue to appreciate hard-hitting, award-winning journalism that both covers the cultural scene - and uncovers where the deals are going down.
Westword is currently seeking a Marketing Director to manage, coordinate and develop all marketing platforms and strategies. The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and creative, with a strong background in event planning, execution, and sponsorship sales. Must possess strong organizational, problem solving and time management skills along with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Creates, manages and executes event sponsorship, ticket strategies, logistics, and budgets
- Drives ticket sales through developing new promotions, ticket offers, use of social media, media, and corporate best practices.
- Builds and manages budgets for events, marketing promotions and general advertising
- Manages a current list of sponsors, and assist as a client liaison with all major sponsors sold by account executives.
- Drives the creative process for onside activation and logistics of client.
- Manages and develops creative fill ads to market all facets of the publication including; blogs, events, online store, promotions, etc.
- Digital and print advertisement selling via prospecting and networking daily to reach a per publication/weekly goal.
- Manages Westword’s presence in the marketplace with sponsorships of key events & promotional campaigns.
- Builds NTR proposals for marketing and sales
- Oversees Social Networking efforts and goals for the department as well as communicates with Westword’s Web Editor to ensure messaging remains consistent.
- Manages email and SMS growth through corporate best practices
- Oversees internal event logistics by working on and delegating projects to the team
- Directly manages in-house the Marketing Coordinators
- Assists account executives in selling advertising by attending client meetings and events with them throughout the week.
- Work in tandem with the Editorial department on building creative and collateral for each event and special issue.
Skills and Specifications
- Detail oriented, incredibly well organized, and able to make a decision.
- Ability to multi-task ongoing and constantly changing duties
- Social ability to connect for client interaction
- Ability to stay cool, calm, and collected
- Eager and proactive with learning new programs and techniques
- Self motivator, loyal and hardworking team player
- Strong proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications
- Knowledgeable understanding of various Social Media platforms and how they relate to event marketing
Education and Qualification
- BA degree in Marketing/Communication or similar field
- 4 years related experience in marketing, public relations and direct sales
- Social Networking, management and event planning background a plus
- Media buying experience a plus
Westword offers benefits that include vacation/sick time, medical, dental, vision, life, tuition reimbursement, 401K and more.
Please state your salary requirement clearly in a cover letter.