Software Engineer, Data Science (MapReduce, RDBMS, Ruby)
- Seattle, WA
Join the WhitePages Team!
WhitePages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. With over 50 million unique monthly users and powering over 2 billion searches per year across sites that include WhitePages.com and 411.com, WhitePages offers consumers one-click access to more than 200 million adults. Our suite of mobile products includes a top-50 mobile website and popular Android and iPhone apps with over 9 million active monthly users. Driven by a spirit of innovation and a commitment to delivering value to consumers and businesses, WhitePages has been profitable since incorporation in 2000.
We value working in small, empowered teams and working with the best people. If you strive for excellence in your work, and would like to contribute in important ways to a powerful service used by millions of people every month, then please have a look at our open positions. If you think you have what it takes, please contact us right away.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
As a data scientist and engineer you appreciate that the value of data is realized through effective modeling, analysis, and engineering, and you have strong skills and passion for all three. You enjoy doing analytic work, prototyping new features, and collaborating closely with engineering teams to bring new ideas, technology, and features to our users. You are interested in all phases of the data lifecycle: understanding and onboarding data from multiple providers in an automated and rigorous way, building and maintaining data models that support analysis and feature development, and developing systems that meet high standards of data integrity and availability.
If you are passionate about data and big data processes and analysis and enjoy working with others who feel the same way, then this is a truly unique and exciting opportunity. Send us your resume today so we can start a conversation!
You must have…
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or related field (e.g. mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering)
- A passion for big data and big data manipulation
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement
- Strong demonstrated software engineering skills, preferably in an agile/incremental environment
- Experience in database design, implementation and maintenance
- Significant experience applying machine-learning and data-mining technologies in a production setting
Extra points if you have…
- An advanced degree, especially in an area related to data modeling, analysis, and inference
- Experience building large-scale systems with technologies like Hadoop, Pig, Solr, Lucene, and Mahout
- Competency in statistical modeling and inference
- Experience building production systems on a NoSQL platform
We're headquartered in the heart of downtown Seattle, and that's where our engineering team works their magic. We've got sales folks across the country, including an office in New York. We have strong company values and culture, and would love to share why ours is an opportunity worth considering. We appreciate and respect diversity, and are an equal opportunity employer.