Software Engineer - Machine Learning Data Science
- New York, NY
Join the WhitePages Team!
WhitePages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. With over 50 million unique monthly users and powering over 2 billion searches per year across sites that include WhitePages.com and 411.com, WhitePages offers consumers one-click access to more than 200 million adults. Our suite of mobile products includes a top-50 mobile website and popular Android and iPhone apps with over 9 million active monthly users. Driven by a spirit of innovation and a commitment to delivering value to consumers and businesses, WhitePages has been profitable since incorporation in 2000.
We value working in small, empowered teams and working with the best people. If you strive for excellence in your work, and would like to contribute in important ways to a powerful service used by millions of people every month, then please have a look at our open positions. If you think you have what it takes, please contact us right away.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
Data is at the core of everything we do at WhitePages, and as a member of the Data Team, you will be instrumental in defining, driving and extending the vision for WhitePages data. You will be identifying new ways to improve and enhance the value of our data by improving its freshness, accuracy, breadth, and depth. You will be looking for new data sources, and exploring new ways to develop and deliver new insights for our users. You will be building the infrastructure that allows us to deliver data to our applications reliably, accurately, and at scale.
You appreciate that the value of data is realized through effective engineering, modeling, and analysis, and you have strong skills and passion for all three. You are equally comfortable building large-scale systems and conducting analyses that demonstrate the value of new and existing data sources. You are interested in all phases of the data lifecycle: understanding and onboarding data from multiple providers in an automated and rigorous way, building and maintaining data models that support analysis and feature development, and developing systems that meet high standards of data integrity and availability.
If you are passionate about data and big data processes and enjoy working with others who feel the same way, then this is a truly unique and exciting opportunity. Send us your resume today so we can start a conversation!
You must have…
- An undergraduate degree in computer science or related field (e.g. engineering, mathematics, statistics, physics)
- Deep experience coding in a modern object-oriented language (Java, C++, Ruby)
- Strong software engineering skills as demonstrated in large-scale project work, preferably in an agile/incremental environment
- A passion for big data and big data manipulation
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement
- Experience in database design, implementation and maintenance
- At least one year of software development experience as a full-time employee in a non-academic environment.
Extra points if you have…
- Experience building automated data pipelines (ETL)
- Experience building production systems on a NoSQL platform
- Experience building large-scale systems with technologies like Hadoop, Pig, Solr, Lucene, and Mahout
- Experience applying machine-learning and data-mining technologies in a production setting
- Competency in statistical modeling and inference
- Software development experience in a fast-paced commercial setting
- An advanced degree, especially in an area related to data modeling, analysis, and inference
We're headquartered in the heart of downtown Seattle, but we are expanding our engineering presence in midtown New York City. We have strong company values and culture, and would love to share why ours is an opportunity worth considering. We appreciate and respect diversity, and are an equal opportunity employer.