Software Engineer, Full Stack (Ruby on Rails)
- Seattle, WA
WhitePages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. We are a top 40 website with over 50 million unique monthly users, and we power over 2 billion searches on over 1,500 sites including MSN and the United States Postal Service. Already the largest and most trusted online directory, we are developing new location based mobile and Internet services that make it easier than ever to find and connect with the people and businesses you are looking for. Additionally we are building an impressive B2B offering that utilizes our core data sets and allows businesses to better serve their own customers.
Joining WhitePages offers you the opportunity to work in small, nimble, empowered teams and the assurance of joining a company that has been profitable
As a Full Stack Engineer you will write software to create, enhance and extend our mobile and desktop web presence. Web apps are primarily written in Ruby on Rails, and you will be an integral part of a small team solving daily challenges related to scaling and availability and search and semantic content delivery, and will also provide rich, rewarding user experiences. You'll have a chance to do both front-end and back-end web application development, and you will be key in shaping every product you work on.
If you love developing sites using Ruby on Rails, or are just excited to learn, this may be the place for you. We’re one of the highest traffic Rails sites on the Internet, and your contributions are seen daily by millions of people.
You must have…
- A passion for building scalable web services and applications;
- Proven experience building highly scalable and available production web apps, from the glass to the database;
- A desire to be involved in design and architecture;
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement;
- A B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent; and
- 5 or more years of professional programming experience.
You must be…
- Deeply versed internet protocols & standards;
- Proficient with writing and optimizing cross-browser CSS and HTML; and
- Knowledgeable of scaling techniques (caching, asynchronous/background job queues, etc.).
Extra points if you…
- Have experience building complex web applications in a web framework (RoR or others);
- Are unusually knowledgeable with HTTP (eg. when to use what response codes, how cache headers work, etc.);
- Have experience with any NoSQL database;
- Have deployed apps to the cloud (Amazon, Rackspace, Heroku, etc.);
- Know a non-Rails Ruby web framework, especially Sinatra;
- Have extensive experience with *nix; and/or
- TDD. Mega points for RSpec.
We're headquartered in the heart of downtown Seattle, and that's where our engineering team works their magic. We've got sales folks across the country, including an office in New York. We have strong company values and culture, and would love to share why ours is an opportunity worth considering. We appreciate and respect diversity, and are an equal opportunity employer.