- Seattle, WA
WhitePages is the leading provider of contact information for people and businesses in the U.S. With over 50 million unique monthly users and powering over 2 billion searches per year across sites that include WhitePages.com and 411.com, WhitePages offers consumers one-click access to more than 200 million adults. Our suite of mobile products includes a top-50 mobile website and popular Android and iPhone apps with over 9 million active monthly users. Driven by a spirit of innovation and a commitment to delivering value to consumers and businesses, WhitePages has been profitable since incorporation in 2000.
We value working in small, empowered teams and working with the best people. If you would like to contribute in important ways to a powerful service used by millions of people every month, please contact us so we can talk about available opportunites.
The Design Director is the lead user advocate and usability expert for all WhitePages web and mobile properties. The Director UX will lead a team skilled in information architecture, interaction design, visual design, and user research in creating elegant, industry-leading products and services. The Director works closely with other members of the Product department, Ad Sales, Business Development, and Engineering teams to ensure that our products and services strike the right balance between user experience, profitability, business growth, time-to-market, and innovation. The Director, Product Design will need to think both strategically and tactically to support both long term and short term company goals, and roll up his/her sleeves to contribute directly on agile sprint teams.
• Leads team in providing design from concept through project execution, including user stories, wireframes, prototypes, user interface specifications, and final graphics
• Design output will be in varying forms, including web graphics, basic html/css, interactive demos or prototypes, and in-house and external collateral
• Provides leadership and coaching to the user experience team, including ensuring that they understand key business drivers and requirements, and can make appropriate trade-offs between user and business needs when necessary.
• Recruits and develops “A” caliber talent
• Acts as an individual contributor (interaction designer) on one or more sprint teams
• Understands and applies user centered design best practices and techniques.
• Evangelizes the importance of human factors, user feedback, and data-driven decisions in designing the end-to-end user experience. Acts as a brand steward by championing our brand in all of our customers’ experiences.
• Provide goals and concepts for usability testing and market assessment, and manages the usability and market research budget. Ensures that insights from testing are shared throughout the company, and are quickly incorporated, where appropriate, into products.
• Ensures consistency and best practice design across the product lines and business units. Builds style guidelines and works with development to create reusable design elements.
• Works collaboratively and iteratively with engineering, business owners, and executive team. Incorporates input from multiple stakeholders while pushing back when appropriate based on user research, data, brand, and design principles.
• Advocates iterative releases and live site testing, and embraces the philosophy that it’s OK to fail (fast). Uses data from testing to minimize risk and improve product performance.
• Balances creativity with consistency, and factors in development efficiency and site performance when developing designs.
• Seeks opportunities to maximize advertising revenue and conversion rates while also maximizing user satisfaction. Discourages either/or thinking between business and consumer needs.
• Communicates evolution of design ideas clearly, consistently, and effectively to a variety of audiences and skill sets. Articulates design concepts and prototypes, communicating the "vision" in a variety of ways: visually and verbally.
• Manages milestones, deadlines and scheduling for multiple simultaneous projects, keeping the team up to date with progress and decisions.
• Actively engages in strategic planning and company / cultural leadership.
Technical knowledge, skills, education and experience
• 7+ years of experience as user experience professional or human factors engineer with demonstrated ability to improve business performance and user satisfaction
• 5+ years working on large scale (10MM+) consumer-facing web sites. Experience building interactive web (2.0) technologies a plus.
• 4+ years effectively leading a team, and developing the people on the team to become better user experience professionals
• Demonstrated ability to bring products and services to market quickly and make appropriate cost/user experience trade-offs
• Personal interest in / early adopter of web2.0 consumer services, social networks, search and other relevant areas
• Experience running Usability Testing and User Interface prototyping
• Demonstrated skill in designing usable web sites and an obvious strong visual design sense
• Must be skilled with Adobe Creative Suite, Visio and MS Office tools. Familiarity with HTML/CSS and web design tools is a strong plus
• Experience with live web site testing highly desired (e-commerce or viral web experience is a plus)
• Experience with agile development