Special Assistant to the Ambassador
- Khartoum, Sudan, OTHER
Vacancy code: VA/PO/B7017
Position Title: Special Assistant to the Ambassador
Department/office: Private Office
Duty Station: Khartoum, Republic of Sudan
Contract type: Voluntary Service (VS)
Duration: 1 Year
Closing Date: 31 December 2019
The Private Office of Ambassador Saeed ZAKI of Sudan advocates for empowering Sudanese youth, and works for a better future for Sudan. Based in Khartoum - Sudan, the Private Office develops and manages a portfolio of projects and services delivered in various locations across the globe for the benefit of young people.
The Special Assistant to the Ambassador will assist with the management and coordination of the office-wide projects undertaken by members of Staff. The Assistant will also assist in reviewing, assessing, and improving work flow and work processes within the administration. This role relieves operational and administrative details and performs administrative functions that require a thorough knowledge of national policies, procedures, and operations and an understanding of the office's role within the community. The Assistant has recurring contact with members of the public figures, senior administrators and executives, public and private officials and the media. He/she exercises initiative and independent judgment in assisting the Ambassador’s and the office through daily activities.
As delegated by the Ambassador, the Special Assistant will work to perform the following tasks and duties:
- Assist with the management and coordination of office-wide projects and initiatives, as assigned by the Ambassador.
- Develop processes for effective follow-up within Office staff, between the projects staff and the office, and office and the larger community.
- Evaluate on an ongoing basis, in collaboration with the Ambassador and his office staff, operations and programme activities.
- Recommend and assist in implementing "best practices" for office workflow, including technology needs.
- Support the Ambassador in meetings, workshops, conferences with national partners; take minutes of the meetings; and assist in interpretation when necessary.
- Represents the Ambassador by welcoming visitors, reviewing correspondence; arranging special dinners and other corporate functions; answering questions and meeting requests directed to the Ambassador.
- Publishes the corporate newsletter by gathering information; preparing and editing articles; designing graphic presentation; producing and distributing.
- Helps key partners make consistent decisions by advising them of historical precedents; serving as liaison between them and the Ambassador.
- Completes projects and special assignments by establishing objectives; determining priorities; managing time; gaining cooperation of others; monitoring progress; problem-solving; making adjustments to plans.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing corporate changes.
- Enhances Ambassador’s and corporation's reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Screening phone calls, enquiries and requests, and handling them when appropriate.
- Organizing and maintaining diaries and making appointments.
- Carrying out background research and presenting findings.
- Producing documents, briefing papers, reports and presentations.
- Organizing and attending meetings and ensuring the Ambassador is well prepared for meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
- Experience in an office setting, talented fresh graduate is accepted.
- Prior experience with international development and/or non-profit organizations, and/or working in a start-up business environment is desirable.
- Excellent verbal and written communications, networking, and presentation skills (in English).
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex tasks and prioritize competing demands in order to meet deadlines.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
The successful candidate will be:
- Committed to, and enthusiastic about, the mission and vision of Private Office.
- A strategic thinker who is adept at multi-tasking in fast paced environment, able to plan, prioritize, and organize individual and group activities and processes;
- Outgoing, straightforward, and creative;
- Able to work independently and take initiative;
- Results oriented;
- Team-focused, enjoy working as part of an active group of highly engaged individuals, sharing information readily with co-workers, and listening to and respecting others; able and willing to assist co-workers in the development of their own professional skills in order to ensure the team’s success; and
- A person who presents a high degree of maturity, honesty, trust, sophistication, and integrity and cultivates these qualities in others.
- Updates job knowledge by providing educational/training opportunities; professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Enhance professional and personal networking.
- Participating in professional organizations.
- Planning and Organizing.
- Communications skills.
- Client orientation.
- Shares knowledge and experience, and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions.
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data, identify and resolve operational problems
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work.
- Ability to supervise and train support staff.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Remains calm, in control even under pressure.
First level degree in business administration, communication, international relations, media, public relations, management or other relevant fields.
Fluency in spoken and written Arabic and English is essential for this position.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered, and only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the Private Office.