Manager - Product Development - Thermoplastics
- St Louis, MO
Zoltek Companies, Inc. is a world leader in the research, development, manufacture and distribution of industrial grade carbon fiber. Our mission is to lead the commercialization of carbon fiber through our development of a price-competitive, high-performance reinforcement for composites used in a broad range of commercial products. Our target markets include wind energy, automotive, offshore drilling, marine, infrastructure, and many other diverse industrial markets. We currently employ over 1,300 employees at manufacturing facilities located in the United States, Guadalajara Mexico (≈300 employees) and Nyergesujfalu Hungary (≈850 employees), and our sales and distribution network is worldwide. Learn more at www.zoltek.com.
The Product Manager will be responsible for creating, developing, manufacturing, and refining carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastics, thermoplastic parts, and other thermo-molded products that will meet the needs of our current customers while expanding our reach into diverse markets. He or She will be tasked to significantly improve the organization’s manufacturing disciplines, metrics and culture towards driving performance improvements in our established facilities in United States, Mexico, and Hungary. The candidate will also be responsible for deploying strategic initiatives surrounding the thermoplastic product line. The duties will include:
- Ability to execute product designs from the idea/concept stage and to assist in turning them into products that can be efficiently manufactured and sold at profit in a competitive global environment.
- Managing the Zoltek thermal compounding product development lab.
- Developing new product introduction process, product management, and technical customer support.
- Providing successful new and existing product introduction through effective utilization of communication, project coordination and people management skills.
- Managing engineering communication to the production floor regarding new product development, prototyping, product improvement, testing, and failure analysis.
- Customer and vendor communications such as generating requests for proposal, managing contractors, soliciting quotes, and continuous improvement projects.
- Validating, qualifying, testing, and implementing potential sources for critical materials in large scale production.
- Adhering to all necessary environmental regulations or quality certifications (ISO, QS, REACH, MSDS).
- Definition, research, and development of processes for long fiber thermoplastics, continuous fiber reinforced thermoplastics, and/or chopped product for compounding applications.
- Selection and project definitions for the use of compound extruders, injection molders, and other necessary manufacturing equipment for product development.
- Utilizes technical experience to validate product tooling and automation design.
- Experience with Carbon fiber, fiberglass, composites and or textile manufacturing experience a plus.
- An understanding of manufacturing for an international operation. Exposure to Europe and Asia manufacturing operations a plus.
- 5-10 years of experience primarily in thermoplastics manufacturing.
- Must have a strong background in thermoplastics materials and processing techniques. Strong knowledge and demonstrated use of thermoplastic products at all stages of the product development.
- Bachelors in an engineering discipline-Mechanical, Materials, or Chemical preferred. Master’s degree or MBA a plus.
- Up to 50% travel is required
For immediate consideration for this position, please submit your resume online. Zoltek is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and provides a drug free work place.