Director Field Sales-PJM West
- Chicago, IL
AEP Energy. Within a complex world, our mission is quite simple -- we help our customers use less energy and spend less for it. Since 2002, we’ve been true to that mission, which explains our phenomenal growth and why more and more customers choose AEP Energy every day. AEP Energy may be one of the most exciting companies that you’ll encounter. We’re fueled by a team of passionate individuals who are intelligent, dedicated, and driven toward success. We are confident of our ongoing growth based on this winning combination -- great people, intelligently crafted strategies, a progressive culture, within an industry that offers abundant opportunity.
AEP Energy has a proven track record of achievement and a commitment to being the "most admired" energy solutions company in North America. At AEP Energy, you’ll have a rewarding and evolving work experience comprised of intellectual challenge, professional growth, and competitive financial rewards within a fast and vibrant culture.
We are dynamic, growing, and searching for great talent.
Regional Sales Leader responsible for all direct Commercial & Industrial (C&I) electricity sales to Mid-to-Large Commercial & Industrial customers in the following Western PJM markets: IL and OH. This is an exceptional opportunity for the right individual. Compensation package will depend on experience (DOE).
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
Build & Manage a High-Performance Direct Sales Team
- You will manage the C&I Field Sales team in PJM-West, which will consist of 9-10 experienced business development managers, located across the Midwest Region, including: IL & OH. You will be responsible for recruiting, hiring, training, managing, coaching, developing and motivating a high-performance regional direct sales team focused on capturing market share in the C&I electric market space.
- NOTE: This position is responsible for managing a direct sales team within a field sales organization. As such, there is virtually no need for business relationships with, or anticipated transactions through, independent Brokers, Agents and Third Party Channels.
- Demonstrated sales leadership experience in the Retail Energy industry, including the development and execution of strategic business plans, sales initiatives, value propositions, and deal-making that has resulted in consistent above-quota performance.
- Demonstrated success in personally closing large-scale electricity contracts ranging between 10MW to 50MW, as well as managing a sales team that consistently closes deals between 1MW-10MW.
- Responsible for overall regional sales performance and attainment of monthly, quarterly and annual sales goals.
- High awareness of the competitive environment, market trends, competitive pricing strategies and utility tariffs.
- Work with the sales management team to develop concepts for new customer value propositions, go-to-market strategies, product concepts, and other customer-oriented solutions.
- Work across multiple functional and/or operational departments, including marketing, leads management, pricing, sales support, IT and legal to develop an efficient process for executing multiple simultaneous sales initiatives & campaigns.
- Identify, track and manage the sales team through use of a consistent set of sales and margin metrics that track sales performance. Address underperformance promptly while providing coaching and training as needed.
Professional Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- Extensive industry experience and detailed knowledge of the retail C&I electric industry is critical.
- Intimate understanding of Eastern PJM electricity markets is essential.
- 10+ years of sales, sales management experience required
- 5-10 years of relevant retail energy industry experience is preferred.
- 2-5 years of experience managing a high-performance direct sales team is required, preferably within the energy industry.
- This position may require regional travel; owning or having access to reliable transportation is required.
- This position may require periodic national travel; ability to work remotely is favourable.
- Proficiency in MS Office, MS Project and CRM/SFA database software is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; a Master’s Degree in Business is preferred.
- Embodies AEP Energy Values
- Enthusiastic learner, eager to meet challenges and quickly assimilate new concepts.
- Displays confidence in ability and performance on subject and role, exudes subject matter expertise.
- Seasoned approach to sales management with a focus on accountability.
- Adept in strategic and tactical realms.
Style / Approach:
- Consultative work-style with strong service and results orientation; develop understanding of complex issues, offer advice and road-map to solutions.
- Acts with a sense of urgency.
- Innovative and resourceful.
- Effective and comfortable in a dynamic/fast-paced work environment.
- High-energy, drive and ambition.
- Attention to detail, while also considering the big picture.
- Consistent performer recognized for unbridled passion for work with a driven, upbeat, self-motivated and positive attitude.
- High EQ: superior interpersonal skills, diplomacy, win-win mindset, relationship-builder, able to work with diverse group of colleagues.
- Proactive problem-solving ability.
- Ability to handle stress in a professional and productive manner.
- Ability to prioritize, plan proactively, manage conflicting priorities and multi-task effectively.
- Strong multi-tasking ability required.
- Demonstrated ability to run/manage several sales campaigns simultaneously.
- Ability to make logical business decisions effectively with limited information and guidance, if needed.
- Excellent communication skills – written, spoken, presentation and listening with ability to explain and interpret complex issues clearly, mindful of audience.
- Strong negotiation and mediation skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills-- conceptual and analytical.
- Well organized with effective problem-solving skills: ability to work from concept to analytics, identify alternatives and develop unique solutions.
Delivers high quality work consistently and on time.
We look forward to receiving your application! All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.