MySQL Database Developer
- Chicago, IL
AEP Energy. Within a complex world, our mission is quite simple -- we help our customers use less energy and spend less for it. Since 2002, we’ve been true to that mission, which explains our phenomenal growth and why more and more customers choose AEP Energy every day. AEP Energy may be one of the most exciting companies that you’ll encounter. We’re fueled by a team of passionate individuals who are intelligent, dedicated, and driven toward success. We are confident of our ongoing growth based on this winning combination -- great people, intelligently crafted strategies, a progressive culture, within an industry that offers abundant opportunity.
AEP Energy has a proven track record of achievement and a commitment to being the "most admired" energy solutions company in North America. At AEP Energy, you’ll have a rewarding and evolving work experience comprised of intellectual challenge, professional growth, and competitive financial rewards within a fast and vibrant culture.
We are dynamic, growing, and searching for great talent.
AEP Energy is looking for an experienced MySQL expert to document the structure and functioning of its in-house built risk and pricing systems. The designer/developer will be available to answer questions and explain business rules, but this should be a self-motivated project. The deliverables include documentation of tables, relationships, procedures, triggers, events, and views as well as an itemized list of potential failure points. Disconnects between system design and intended functionality should be proactively identified with potential bug fixes. The project is expected to take 3 months of full time work with the potential to turn into a full time position.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Diagram and document AEP Energy’s risk and pricing system
- Audit the system for design weaknesses
- Propose bug fixes
- Identify areas for performance optimization
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- Expertise in MySQL (code and database design)
- Ability to connect application functionality with business operation
- Commitment to clear, concise documentation
- Elementary understanding of principles or risk/position management
Education & Experience Requirements:
- At least 5 years with MySQL (or other flavor of SQL and understanding of MySQL)
- Past projects requiring documenting database structures and processes
- Some work with a financial services or trading
- Some system auditing/review experience
- Embodies AEP Energy Values
- Strong service and results orientation.
- Effective problem-solving skills: ability to work from concept to analytics, identify alternatives and develop unique solutions.
- Excellent communication skills – written, spoken, listening with ability to explain and interpret complex issues clearly, mindful of audience.
- High-energy, drive and ambition.
- Ability to prioritize, plan proactively, manage conflicting priorities and multi-task effectively.
- Delivers high quality work consistently and on time.
- Attention to detail, while also considering the big picture
We look forward to receiving your application! All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.