Senior Software Developer (Python/DNAData/Algorithms) - Ancestry
- 153 Townsend Street, San Francisco, CA, United States
We are seeking an experienced Sr. Software Engineer to join a growing DNA team in San Francisco. This person will work with a nimble team of software engineers, geneticists, and data scientists, and would be building software solutions for DNA data processing using cutting edge technologies, serving the rapidly growing consumer genomic data at AncestryDNA & AncestryHealth. We are seeking applicants who are energetic & innovative, have demonstrated technology skills, and who are eager to tackle humongous scalability challenges. This will be a hands-on development role to design, build solutions.
What you will do:
- Hands on Development – This individual will build the best technology solutions with the help of the DNA pipeline team in a timely fashion, and be capable of technical deep dives into OS, containerization, technology choices.
- Communication and Partnerships – Builds partnerships throughout the engineering organization and beyond, and can effectively educate and influence others how to best utilize tools and processes in a fast-paced environment.
- Maintenance and Support – Provides enhancement and support for the tools and systems used by AncestryDNA systems. Investigates and implements efficient tools and work processes to meet objectives.
- Continuous Improvement – Focuses on root cause analysis, pattern identification and continuous improvement in order to provide reliable services and solutions to clients. Build automation and tooling to assist with compliance, alert on problems, and auto-remediate issues without manual involvement.
- Bachelor's degree in related field required.
- 5+ Years of software design and development experience with distributed highly scalable systems, with at least 3+ years working on Java or Python.
- Ability to do hands-on development in object oriented languages as well as functional programming (Java, Python).
- Familiarity with REST web services and service oriented architecture.
- Disciplined approach to development including TDD, Quality, and using industry best practices and design patterns.
- Write Unit Tests for all code deployed.
- Strong experience with very large data sets and the algorithms/tools used to process them.
- Proficiency with SQL, database schema design and implementation.
- Strong communication skills, with ability to collaborate and work with multiple geographically dispersed teams working on various initiatives.
- Experience in architecting and/or evolving distributed scalable systems is bonus.
- Passion for technology, and ability to make the right decisions for Ancestry, having a good grasp on where industry is today and where the industry is going.
- Experience with Bioinformatics, genomics, arrays, DNA processing is a huge bonus.
- Experience with AWS is a bonus.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Computer Science (or equivalent degree/experience in a related field) is preferred.
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers. (REF1006X)
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.