Director of AI
- Townsend St, San Francisco, CA, USA
We are growing our Data Science team globally. We’re looking for a Director of AI to join our San Francisco office. In this role, you will be responsible for managing a group of talented data scientists and ML engineers in both San Francisco and Lehi locations. Reporting directly to the head of data science, you will be a member of the global Data Science & Machine Learning Team, tackling our toughest and most exciting data science challenges.
The ideal candidate will partner with product, platform and marketing stakeholders to identify/prioritize top AI opportunities, create business/technical requirements, transform large volumes of data into AI-driven solutions using creative, cutting edge open source methods/technologies, lead ML strategy and road map planning, work across teams and influence the direction of external teams. The ideal leader will combine expert AI/ML/Open Source with hands on experience building algorithms/models/programming and outstanding business skills to manage and deliver complex/critical projects driving significant value to Ancestry.com.
- Lead the team in using data science and machine learning to drive product innovations, customer success, marketing optimization, and more across both our family history and consumer genomics businesses
- Work alongside multiple departments including product, platform and marketing to streamline AI efforts driving transformation across the company
- Help with putting together a long-term AI vision for the team
- Working with Ancestry’s Enterprise Architecture leadership and variety of business teams to evaluate AI technologies including, but not limited to, Natural Language processing, Machine Learning and Computer vision to align business needs.
- Help champion a data-driven culture and push long-term business value creation through development of best-in-class data science capabilities.
- Masters or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Math, Physics, Engineering, Statistics or other technical fields
- 5+ years of industrial experience in machine learning / computer vision / deep learning/ software development
- 3+ years of managerial experience in machine learning / computer vision / deep learning/ software development
- Experience at expert level in agile software development
- Strong knowledge in best AI architecture disciplines
- Extensive experience with advanced ML techniques (neural networks/deep learning, reinforcement learning, Natural Language Processing, SVM, PCA, etc.)
- Experience working on or managing projects involving large scale-multi dimensional databases, complex business infrastructure, and cross-functional teams
- Proficiency in C/C++, Java, SQL, Python, and multi-threaded programming
- Experience with Hadoop stack (HIVE, Pig, Hadoop streaming), MapReduce and SPARK
- Proven track record of strong verbal/written communication and presentation skills, including an ability to effectively communicate with both business and technical teams
- Demonstrated success leading a team with proven track record of delivering results
- Experience influencing internal and external decision-makers
- Excellent people leadership skills and a proven track record of developing high potential talent
- Self-starter, high level of motivation and ability to work well independently as well as motivate and energize teams
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.