Data Science Engineer - Machine Learning, Intern
- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Ancestry is currently seeking highly motivated, internet-savvy interns who can work full-time for 12-16 weeks during Summer 2018. Our summer internships allow you the freedom to experience impactful business projects that allow you to develop your talents. You will enjoy mentorship, and experience challenging work all while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a lot of fun—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
From Engineering to Marketing, UX Design, DNA Science, Product and more, we’re looking for fresh minds and diverse ideas with an interest in connecting families and technology. Come join a diverse company of enthusiastic, talented, smart, and very passionate people who bring their A-game each day.
Internship Project Description
We are seeking a data science engineer intern to join the Ancestry Data Science team in 2018. Our group works on some of the most challenging and impactful genealogy big data problems.
You would be contributing to an important part of Ancestry’s mission, to provide the best production experience and the best content by adapting Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence driven solutions in Genealogy. To help families and love ones to be more connected than ever. You would not only use and learn more Machine Learning, Deep Learning and data driven solutions, but also to practice and to enhance your software development skills. You would be working with various teams to solve interesting data science and software engineering problems.
Tasks & Deliverables:
- Investigate and understand data sets, and data quality issues
- Investigate and contribute machine learning models
- Design and build components that is going to be part of ML AI platform
- Design and build components that would help enhance the model development process
- Work closely with teams to solve interesting data science and software engineering problems
- Code review and bug fixing
- Software documentation
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or Ph.D. level degree in computer science, software engineering, or related fields
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2018
- You will work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department heads and other professionals within your discipline and across the company.
- Experience with machine learning theory and practice
- Experience using machine learning software such as Python Sci-Kit, TensorFlow, Weka, or R.
- Experience with Java or Python along with an understanding of CS fundamentals and object-oriented programming
- Good communication and writing skills.
- Experience with Hadoop or Spark is a plus
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.