Data Governance & Quality, Intern
- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Ancestry is currently seeking highly motivated, internet-savvy interns who can work full-time for 12-16 weeks during Summer 2018. Our summer internships allow you the freedom to experience impactful business projects that allow you to develop your talents. You will enjoy mentorship, and experience challenging work all while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a lot of fun—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
From Engineering to Marketing, UX Design, DNA Science, Product and more, we’re looking for fresh minds and diverse ideas with an interest in connecting families and technology. Come join a diverse company of enthusiastic, talented, smart, and very passionate people who bring their A-game each day.
Internship Project Description
This is what you will do….
- Increase visible Data Knowledge of existing Visits/Engagement Events and identify data quality issues. This will be done by performing detailed data profiling and analysis using SQL (redshift) and visualization (tableau). Once an understanding of the data and quality issues are found work with the development and product teams to correct and document data issues/definitions which will be inserted into the internal Data Catalog. This will increase usability and confidence in the data.
Task & deliverables:
- Work with various Product and Development to understand the assigned visit/engagement events data and site functionally that is used to create them.
- Using SQL (Redshift) or possibly other languages (python, ect) profile and analyze assigned tables to identify missing data, data anomalies, and incorrect data. Document these issues and then work with Product and Development Teams to correct were possible.
- Create Tableau report(s) to visually display missing and incorrect data that can be easily understood and will be used going forward to identify and alert for new issues.
- Present Data Quality findings to Product, Development, and Analyst Teams.
- Following policy/standards and working with Product and Development Teams document table, field, and data quality issues for the tables assigned. Inserting this data into the internal Data Catalog for Data Users to have access.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or Ph.D. level degree
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2018
- You will work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department heads and other professionals within your discipline and across the company.
- Passion for Data Quality and Data Governance
- Basic SQL and visualization skills
- Ability to do data analysis on large data sets to find anomalies and large changes in data
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.