- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than 2.5 million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites and approximately 5 million DNA samples in the AncestryDNA database.
AncestryDNA is seeking a motivated and talented computational biologist with interest and experience using and developing computational methods to analyze genomic data. Working with a collaborative and nimble team of biologists, population geneticists, statisticians, computer scientists and epidemiologists, the Computational Biologist will design methods to interpret our singular database, and develop and demonstrate new computational approaches to help customers understand what these data can tell them about themselves and their family history.
The successful candidate for the position will have a PhD in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, statistics, statistical genetics, or a related field.
- The candidate must have experience using or developing statistical or machine learning approaches, particularly toward analysis of genomic data.
- The successful applicant will have a proficiency in programming and can implement and validate new approaches efficiently. Proficiency in Python, C++, Java, or R is desired.
- Knowledge of genotype processing techniques (e.g., phasing and imputation) is a plus.
- Knowledge of sequence modeling algorithms (e.g., dynamic programming, Markov models, probabilistic context-free grammars), sampling techniques, and expectation-maximization is a plus.
- Experience with distributed computing and big data analysis (e.g., tens of billions of records) is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills will be needed in our collaborative and fast-paced team.
Ancestry Inc. is interested in you and we are dedicated to building a diverse workforce with equal opportunities for employment.
By applying for this position you will be supplying personal information to Ancestry Information Operations Company of 52-55 Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland. Your information will also be shared with other companies within the Ancestry group. Your information will be used to assess your suitability for the advertised position. We also will retain the information you provide and use it to consider you for future vacancies and may contact you if such positions arise. If you want us to delete your information at any time please write to the HR team at the above address.
Please note: we do not require assistance from 3rd party recruitment companies at this time