Bioinformatics / Computational Biology Fellow
- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Ancestry is currently seeking highly motivated, research-savvy interns who can work full-time for 12-16 weeks during Summer 2018. Our summer fellowships give you the freedom to conduct novel scientific research for impactful business projects that allow you to develop your talents, enjoy mentorship, and experience challenging work.
In the field of Genetics and Computational Biology, we’re looking for fresh minds and diverse ideas with an interest in connecting families through genomics, and technology. Come join a diverse company of enthusiastic, talented, smart, and very passionate people.
Internship Project Description
We are seeking fellows to join the AncestryDNA genomics R&D team in our San Francisco office to work with a diverse team of computational biologists, statisticians, epidemiologists, and population geneticists in analyzing genomic, pedigree, and other data. We are mounting a major effort to use genomics to shed light on human diversity, origins, relationships, and human health. The successful candidate will join our efforts to develop, test, and apply new algorithms to push genealogy into the genomics era based in part on a database of over 6 million genotypes.
This is what you will do….
- You will work with a mentor on the genomics R&D team to scope out and complete an impactful research project.
- Potential projects include the analysis of genotype and pedigree data, development of novel computational methods, or improvement/optimization of existing algorithms.
- You will present your work to the genomics R&D team at the end of the internship.
- You will work in a professional environment, with ample opportunity to network with department heads and other professionals within your discipline and across the company.
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree in computer science, machine learning, bioinformatics, population genetics, statistics, or a related technical field. Outstanding masters or undergraduate candidates will be considered.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High levels of creativity
- Independent, with a demonstrated ability to work on a team
Skills and Experience
- Outstanding programming and data visualization skills
- Solid understanding of human genetics and inheritance
- Machine learning and/or statistics experience desired
- Previous research experience in bioinformatics or population genetics desired
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.