Director, Product, Content & Discovery
- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Ancestry seeks a product thought leader to own and drive the discovery experience of our 20B historical records, rich media objects, insights, and family trees for 2.7M subscribers, 6M DNA customers & millions of non-subscribers in 30 international markets.
Working closely with various stakeholders across the organization, including marketing, content, and platform systems, you will grow and lead a team of talented product managers to deliver the best Search, Recommendations and Insight experiences in genealogy and consumer genomics.
This position reports to the VP of Product.
This position can be based in either our Lehi, Utah or San Francisco, California office.
What you will do
- Articulate and drive the vision for how new and existing customers will discover their own personal narrative and contribute to those of others.
- Define roadmap and deliver product experiences for search, recommendations and discovery across all product lines.
- Establish a framework to align features and capabilities to customer journeys focused on discovery of new features, personal insights, historical records, migration stories, media collections, and other ancestry members.
- Work with data science and platform personalization elements to enable users to discover and curate uniquely personalized narratives through relevant and timely hints and insights.
- Engage external partners to accelerate development and maximize customer satisfaction
- Develop a PM team that exemplifies agile best practices at scale - using detailed epics and user stories to ship great products - often leading by example
- Build strong working relationships and fundamental alignment with peers in UX, ENG, DNA Science, Platform, and Marketing
- Define and communicate clear success criteria for apps and features
- Collaborate with other product and data leaders in establishing and utilizing a robust framework for A/B or multivariate testing
- Work with PR, Marketing, and Member Services to manage launch cycles end-to-end
Who you are
- 10+ years in product management - experience with global consumer brand preferred
- 5+ years in product management focused on discovery experiences preferred
- Obsessed with customer understanding and measurable success
- Strong knowledge of information retrieval best practices and development methodology
- Passionate about the future experience of search, including voice capabilities
- Experience leveraging large-scale, user-generated data sets to differentiate product experiences
- Familiarity with tool set and techniques for user and app analytics across platforms
- Successful track record building and leading high performing teams
- Fluent in the language and methods of a data-driven culture and data science
- Effective communications skills, presentation techniques, meeting mechanics, and team building skills
- Strong writing skills to clearly articulate a vision / objectives and influence others towards them
- Bachelor’s degree, MBA preferred
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.