Genetic Communications/Counseling Fellow
- 1300 W Traverse Pkwy, Lehi, UT 84043, USA
Ancestry is currently seeking highly motivated, research-savvy interns who can work full-time for 12-16 weeks during Summer 2018. Our summer internships give you the freedom to conduct novel scientific research for impactful business projects that allow you to develop your talents, enjoy mentorship, and experience challenging work.
In the field of Genetics and Communication, we’re looking for fresh minds and diverse ideas with an interest in engaging people through genomics, and technology. Come join a diverse company of enthusiastic, talented, smart, and very passionate people.
Internship Project Description
We are seeking fellows to join the AncestryDNA genomics R&D team in our Lehi office to work with a diverse team of computational biologists, statisticians, epidemiologists, and population geneticists in analyzing genomic, pedigree, and other data. We are mounting a major effort to use genomics to shed light on human diversity, origins, relationships, and human health.
This is what you will do….
- You will work with a mentor on the genomics R&D team to scope out and complete an impactful research project.
- Assist in defining principles and guidelines for reports of various genetic markers to insure accuracy and comprehension of the provided information, while maintaining an engaging and educational experience for the customer. Concepts to develop and iterate include, but not limited to, ways to convey residual risk, uncertainties, evolution of knowledge, heritability and association vs causation.
- You will present your work to the genomics R&D team at the end of the internship.
- You will work in a professional environment, with ample opportunity to network with department heads and other professionals within your discipline and across the company.
- Currently pursuing a graduate degree in genetic counseling, population genetics or a related technical field.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High levels of creativity
- Independent, with a demonstrated ability to work on a team
- Solid understanding of human genetics and inheritance
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.