Software Engineer, Intern
- 1300 W Traverse Pkwy, Lehi, UT 84043, USA
Ancestry is currently seeking highly motivated, internet-savvy interns who can work full-time for 12-16 weeks during Summer 2018. Our summer internships allow you the freedom to experience impactful business projects that allow you to develop your talents. You will enjoy mentorship, and experience challenging work all while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a lot of fun—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
From Engineering to Marketing, UX Design, DNA Science, Product and more, we’re looking for fresh minds and diverse ideas with an interest in connecting families and technology. You will work in a professional environment and have ample opportunity to network with department heads and other professionals within your discipline and across the company Come join a diverse company of enthusiastic, talented, smart, and very passionate people who bring their A-game each day.
Internship Project Description
If you are passionate about DNA and Big Data this will be an incredible experience for you. You will work in a professional environment (but in shorts and sandals) and have ample opportunity to network with other teams and other professionals within your discipline. The Software Engineering intern will work with and be mentored by senior software developers.
This is what you will do….
- Work in Java 8 and related technologies
- Work with code that queries billions of records from AWS Aurora
- Experience a Agile style development process
- Learn about Spring, REST, AWS, RDBMS, Hadoop, Spark NoSQL and other cool tech
Tasks & deliverables:
- Develop test data sets for performance and scalability testing for a platform with hundreds of billions of records.
- Create administrative reporting tools and graphs
- Work with other departments to improve test data sets
- Find and suggest improvements to production code
- Improve code quality through unit and integration testing while learning Java development best practices
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s or master’s level degree in Computer Science or related field (for example: Bioinformatics, EE, Computer Engineering, Math, and Physics). Must also return to school after the internship to continue education or an internship is required for graduation.
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2018
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.