Senior Software Engineer, platform
- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than 2.5 million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites and approximately 5 million DNA samples in the AncestryDNA database.
Who We Are:
Our team works on exciting new ways for our customers to contribute to genetic research and acquire new insights on how their genes play a role in defining who they are. With our unprecedented genomic database we are combining user-centric design with scalable technical solutions that will enable both genetic researchers and consumers to make new discoveries every day.
In this role, you will be responsible for designing and implement secure, scalable and highly available microservices and applications as part of Ancestry service platform with a variety of technologies such as NodeJs, Docker, Kubernetes React and Redux . Join our platforms team if you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our Ancestry customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media.
- Owns technical aspects of software development
- Performs hands-on cloud scale architecture, design and development of systems and services and frameworks
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms
- Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Identifies continuous improvements for service availability
- Works closely with product owners on feature sets that impact platform, services and frameworks
- Mentor Junior engineering in the team
- Works with UX & product owners to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues
Who you are:
- 5+ years experience in software development, ideally contributed to open source projects
- Experience in designing and implementing large scale web application, APIs and frameworks
- Proficient with architectural patterns of a large, high-scale web application (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and to articulate solutions
- Ability to enable business capabilities through innovation
- Ability to mentor other engineers
- Bachelor's in CS required. Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred
Any of the following is a BIG plus:
- Contribution to open source projects
- Experience with AWS: EC2, S3, ECS, RDS
- Experience with HIPAA compliance
- Front-end experience: Webpack
Ancestry Inc. is interested in you and we are dedicated to building a diverse workforce with equal opportunities for employment.
By applying for this position you will be supplying personal information to Ancestry Information Operations Company of 52-55 Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland. Your information will also be shared with other companies within the Ancestry group. Your information will be used to assess your suitability for the advertised position. We also will retain the information you provide and use it to consider you for future vacancies and may contact you if such positions arise. If you want us to delete your information at any time please write to the HR team at the above address.
Please note: we do not require assistance from 3rd party recruitment companies at this time