- 153 Townsend St, San Francisco, CA 94107, USA
AncestryDNA is seeking a motivated and talented population data scientist with interest and experience using and developing machine learning methods to analyze the movements and characteristics of populations over time. The successful applicant will partner with a collaborative and nimble team of population geneticists, statisticians, computer scientists, and computational biologists to analyze billions of genealogical and genetic records. The population data scientist will also develop new computational approaches to understand the movements of populations over time, as well as the genetic characteristics of those populations, enabling customers to understand more about themselves and their family history.
The successful candidate for the position will have a PhD in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, statistics, statistical genetics, population genetics, demography, human geography, or a related field.
- The candidate must have experience using or developing statistical or machine learning approaches, particularly toward the analysis of genomic or population data.
- The successful applicant will have a proficiency in programming and can implement or validate new approaches efficiently. Proficiency in Python, C++, Java, or R is desired.
- Knowledge of supervised techniques for classification and assignment or unsupervised learning/clustering techniques is required.
- Knowledge of sequence modeling algorithms (e.g., Markov models, probabilistic context-free grammars), sampling techniques, and expectation-maximization is a plus.
- Experience with distributed computing and big data analysis (e.g., tens of billions of records) is a plus.
- Experience modeling the movement and characteristics of populations is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills will be needed in our collaborative and fast-paced team.
1Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.