Engineering Manager - Flywheel
- San Francisco, CA, USA
A major component of the ancestry flywheel is to create communities that members can engage in. The M2M engagement team will drive the member-2-member component of this ecosystem via message center, message boards, help content, and more. The primary goal for this team will be to keep customers engaged with continuous generation of insights via the Ancestry community.
Ancestry is seeking an exceptional, passionate and motivated engineering leader, to join our Flywheel domain team. This critical role will build and lead a software development team that is going to build the next generation experience for Ancestry customers including messaging, engagement, and an exceptional customer experience.
You will work in partnership with Product and UX to hire and build out a new team of exceptional software developers.
- Provide technical leadership to your team of software developers and quality engineers (also identifying opportunities for technical advancements and own their delivery)
- Work on development efforts towards successful feature delivery for the Flywheel domain from building out what the messaging experience should look like for the customers
- Maintain high standards for software quality by establishing good practices and habits and automated checks
- Collaborate with software developers, marketing team, product owners, architects to plan, design, develop and test applications
- Analyze and resolve technical and application or solution related issues
- Research and evaluate software products that might fit the needs of the solution better (eg. if emerging technologies can improve on performance or scaling etc)
- 8 years prior full stack development experience with a minimum of 5 years working on large scale, customer facing applications
- 3 years of experience leading, growing, and developing a team is required
- Bachelor's in computer science degree (or related discipline) required (master's preferred)
- Server side technologies - preferred Java and NodeJS
- Frameworks (preferred Spring or Express)
- Microservices based architecture (REST)
- Continuous deploy and integration tools like Jenkins
- Designing and developing enterprise grade software in fast-paced distributed environments (highly scalable, reliable, available)
- Agile methodologies (SCRUM)
- Debugging, performance profiling and optimization
- Cloud based infrastructure experience
- Docker and kubernetes experience
- Caching frameworks like memcached and redis experience
- Experience with message queues like rabbitmq
- Experience with building a messaging flows and experiences
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.