Senior Manager/Director of Engineering
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Ancestry is seeking a Senior Manager/Director of Engineering to join our team. Ancestry Platform Services team will deliver a developer-centric, open platform that provides shared services such as authentication, user profile, settings and segmentation, commerce, search and many more. How many times in your career will you have an opportunity to build a platform like this from scratch which will enable rapid innovation for the company?
Join our Platform team if you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our Ancestry customers seamlessly across digital, mobile, and social media. With us, you will have the unique opportunity to impact each and every Ancestry developer by enabling them to quickly build, deploy and deliver their applications into production.
In this role, you will be a key contributor in designing and implementing the shared services and enable the technology with a secure, scalable and highly available platform by using a variety of technologies such as AWS, k8s, Docker, and Java.
You will lead the team in delivering services, features, and frameworks of the platform. You will innovate and drive the implementation of services at scale. You will incorporate frameworks and define full-scale automation around provisioning, alerting and notifications. You will define the continuous platform delivery release model which enables high availability of services during platform releases and its upgrades.
What you will do
- Perform hands-on cloud scale architecture, design, and development of systems and services and frameworks
- Develop deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms
- Write code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
- Provide guidance and mentorship to team of highly talented software engineers implementing the services
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Analyze and resolve technical and application or solution related issues
- Collaborate with software developers, product owners, project managers and architects to plan, design, develop and test services
- Work with product and engineering managers to prioritize features for ongoing sprints and managing a list of technical requirements based on industry trends, new technologies, known defects, and issues.
Who you are:
- Must be a highly technical hands-on developer
- 10 or more years of experience programming in Java/J2EE, REST Services, and related technologies with a minimum of 3 years of directly managing a team.
- Hands on Experience with Spring.
- Experience configuring & deploying applications on J2EE application server
- Experience with design and implementation of distributed applications, APIs or frameworks
- Experience with CI/CD and DevOps
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment using agile or other rapid application development methods
- Experience in multi-cloud production environment deployment and maintenance.
- Strong experience in debugging, performance tuning and optimization for scalability and high availability
- Bachelor's in CS or EE required (masters preferred)
- Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science, and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
- We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers. (REF)
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.