UX Director, Ancestry
- San Francisco, CA
Ancestry is looking for a UX leader to guide the design of a world-class product that helps customers derive insights from their genetic information and their family history to understand their risks and what they can do to minimize those risks. You will help define the UX vision and strategy for the product and work with a team of passionate designers, product managers, engineers, scientists, medical professionals, marketers, and others to create an innovative, science-based product that will help users take control of their health. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated experience managing the design of a rich, interactive, online product in the medical or industry, particularly one regulated by the FDA. Having a strong personal interest in health, science, and technology will be a distinct advantage. This position will report to the VP of User Experience and will be based in our San Francisco, California, office.
Your primary responsibility in this role is to lead the UX team in the design of an innovative new product that will solve customer problems—not only do you bring the best out of the people around you and help guide them toward great decisions, you rally people to a common vision based on a clear strategic direction and customer needs. We expect you will lead by example and be capable of high quality design work. We also expect that you’re passionate about building amazing user experiences, top notch UI, making the world a better place and helping people take control of their health. Finally, you are outcome-driven and embrace an iterative, agile development process that uses data heavily to help inform decisions.
• Direct the UX vision and help set the direction for a product based on ongoing customer research, usage and performance, business opportunity, and competitive analysis in close partnership with the Director of Product Management.
• Manage a team of product designers.
• Own the design of the product from UX vision through final pixels.
• Make potentially complex concepts and user interfaces simple, beautiful, and accurate.
• Minimum of 3 to 5 years of relevant leadership experience in product design with a proven track record of shipping awesome products, preferably in fields regulated by the FDA.
• Experience taking complex problems and making them accessible to a broad audience in a way that is delightful and engaging.
• Experience managing a team of product designers while balancing hands-on design.
• A track record of strong partnerships with product and engineering teams and demonstrated success working collaboratively with stakeholders, even those in remote offices.
• Strong UX skills and the ability to manage an appropriate design process in an agile, startup environment.
• Excellent communication and organizational skills.
• Experience managing the design of mobile apps (iOS and/or Android) is a definite advantage.
Ancestry is a private, equity-owned company with U.S. offices in Provo, Utah, and San Francisco, as well as international offices in London, Dublin, Munich, Toronto, and Sydney. Ancestry is the world's largest online resource for family history with an extensive collection of more than 15 billion historical records that have been digitized, indexed, and made available online over the past 15 years. These digital records and documents enabled Ancestry’s 2.7 million plus paying subscribers and more than 12 million registrants to create nearly 60 million family trees. While most of Ancestry subscribers are in the United States, the company has a strong presence in the UK, Canada, and Australia, and is in the process of a large international expansion into Eastern Europe and Mexico. In 2014, Ancestry had non-GAAP revenue of $619.5 million (up 10.3% YOY) and adjusted EBITDA of $214.8 million.
AncestryDNA (www.ancestryDNA.com ) has become the fastest growing direct-to-consumer genomic company by providing consumers insights into their ancestral origins. A team of scientists leverages pedigrees, documents, demographics, and genomes to conduct innovative research in population genetics and create innovative new consumer products. Since launching in May of 2012, AncestryDNA has grown rapidly and amassed a database of about 1 million genomes.
Now, built on the strength of a DNA database over 1 million samples strong and growing, we have the opportunity to create a revolutionary, new product that builds on our expertise in family history and genomics to capture and interpret family health history and identify genetic patterns--not only can this product help our customers understand their health risks and what actions they can take to minimize them, but it can also help further drug and medical research and discoveries.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.