Senior Big Data Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Ancestry is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our platforms team. In this role, you will deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, enabling our development and science teams to serve our Ancestry customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media. As such you will define the experiences in engineering a platform that provides services and frameworks to developers as a secure, scalable and highly available platform by using a variety of technologies such as AWS EMR, Spark, Kubernetes and Docker.
Ever wondered what it takes to build and deliver a highly available, global scale enterprise-wide platform with an open source technology stack that simplifies building applications via frameworks such as web-ui kits, style kits and dev libs allowing the uniform delivery of production-ready applications for end-users. Further, ever imagined yourself to deliver a developer-centric and open platform that enables data-driven decision making in real-time. And lastly do you have a passion for solving big data problems? Then join our platforms team if you have the talent and desire to do so!
What you will do
- Be a key player and mentor to a team of highly talented software engineers
- Own technical aspects of software development
- Perform design and development of data flow, data loading, APIs, services and frameworks
- Develop a deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms
- Write code and unit tests works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
- Identify opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Work closely with product owners on feature sets that impact platform, services and frameworks
Who You Are:
- 4+ years of experience in software development, preferably in Java
- 3+ years of experience working with big data technologies such as AWS and Hadoop
- 3+ years of experience with design and implementation of distributed applications, preferably in Spark
- 2+ years of experience with AWS APIs, cloud provisioning frameworks and orchestration technology, preferably AWS EMR.
- Bachelor's in CS required. Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.