Senior Product Manager, Search
- San Francisco, CA, USA
We are looking for an extraordinary Senior Product Manager, Search to join our Discovery team. In this role, you should be customer-focused and able to translate the capabilities of search technology into customer and business value. You should understand the value that search brings to the customer’s overall site experience. You will help create the big search vision for our customers and break it down into bite-size, actionable steps.
In this role, you will work closely with various development teams—the data science team, the search platform team, search services team, search web application team, and user experience designers Ancestry.com, so strong communication skills are needed. This role is not a Search Engine Optimization position.
As a senior member of the Product team, you are passionate about our customers and about building products that delight and engage. Our Product Managers lead through understanding areas of product opportunity, creating a vision, validating that vision through rapid prototyping, measurement, and user research, then partnering with development and UX leaders to bring your vision to market.
You will directly impact customer engagement across both our AncestryDNA and Family History Products.
This position will be based in our San Francisco office (relocation assistance is available) and reports to the Sr. Director of Product Management.
What you will do
- Lead the discovery phase, including user research and user testing for search
- Create the vision for search at Ancestry, informing the product roadmap for all devices and platforms with new ideas based on ongoing customer research, market/competitive analysis, and product performance
- Write detailed business and technical requirements and use cases for search
- Lead a cross-functional team of development, UX, and product marketing to produce and successfully launching the UI for a new SOLR search platform
- Determine, align and deliver success metrics and reporting needs in your area
- Manage ongoing related improvements to our iOS and Android apps
Who you are:
- Minimum of 5+ years of interactive consumer focused, online web product management experience
- Have an awareness of the fundamental concepts that are search related such as indexing, IR, scoring, ranking, relevancy, machine learning, collaborative filtering etc.
- Incredibly smart, creative, driven, coupled with the emotional intelligence to navigate a large product organization to deliver amazing products quickly
- Self-starter and able to work well with individuals at all levels and across functions
- Driven to succeed by the company’s core mission to help people discover, preserve, and share their family history
- Strong organizational skills coupled with highly effective communications skills (written and oral)
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills
- Occasional travel required
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.