Full Stack Developer – Advanced Research
- San Francisco, CA, USA
We are seeking a Sr. Software Engineer to join a small, unique team based in San Francisco. You will work with a cross functional team of product, science and design to build new DNA-based applications using cutting-edge technologies. The team’s portfolio spans moonshots, medium, and near-term concepts all with the potential to transform consumer genomics.
If you are energetic & innovative, have demonstrated technical skills, and are eager to tackle creative challenges, we’d like to hear from you. This will be a hands-on development role to design and build solutions that will change how millions of people connect, explore and interact with genomics.
What you will do:
- Develop - Develop interactive prototypes and experiences on both web and native mobile in order to conceptualize and test new DNA-based applications. Research and develop new ideas using cutting-edge technologies.
- Be a Subject Matter Expert - Work within the innovation team to ideate, scope, and develop new ideas quickly. Leverage your understanding of technology to support new product offerings, introduce new ideas to the team, provide technology and platform guidance including limitations and opportunities, and set technical objectives and deliverables.
- Be resourceful – Unblock yourself and your team if necessary. Change course if required, work within short timeframes, self-start, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Facilitate communication and partnerships – Build partnerships throughout the engineering organization and beyond, and effectively educate and influence others how to best utilize tools and processes in a fast-paced environment. You are responsible for connecting with other product and platform engineering groups to take full advantage of Ancestry assets.
- Implement good practices - Write clean, easily maintainable, reusable code with unit tests that follow standards and best practices and are based on industry trends and the latest technologies. Have a passion for technology, and the ability to make the right decisions for Ancestry.
- Ability to operate in a lead role developing innovative digital creative ideas
- 4+ years of software design and development experience with distributed highly scalable systems, with at least 2+ years working on Python, Java and MySQL.
- Bachelor's in computer science or related field is required
- Familiarity with REST web services and service-oriented architecture.
- Disciplined approach to development including TDD, Quality, and using industry best practices and design patterns.
- Strong experience with very large data sets and the algorithms/tools used to process them.
- Experience in architecting and/or evolving distributed scalable systems is plus.
- Experience with bioinformatics, genomics, arrays, DNA processing is a plus.
- Working knowledge on AWS is a plus.
- Effective communicator who can work closely with multidisciplinary teams
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers. (REF993M)