Senior Software Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Ancestry is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our platforms team. In this role, you will deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, enabling our development teams to serve our Ancestry customers seamlessly across physical, digital, mobile, and social media. As such you will define the experiences in engineering a platform that provides services and frameworks to developers as a secure, scalable and highly available platform by using a variety of technologies such as AWS, kubernetes, Docker and Java.
Ever wondered what it takes to build and deliver a highly available, global scale enterprise wide platform with an open source technology stack that simplifies building applications via frameworks such as web-ui kits, style kits and dev libs allowing the uniform delivery of production ready applications for end-users. Further, ever imagined yourself to deliver a developer centric and open platform that provides shared services such as secrets management, authentication, notification, caching and content delivery. And lastly ever envisioned yourself to build out an automation platform that enables the seamless, highly available and scalable application deployment through continuous delivery and end2end provisioning. Then join our platforms team if you have the talent and desire to do so!
What you will do
- Be a key player and mentor to team of highly talented software engineers
- Owns technical aspects of software development
- Performs design and development of APIs, services and frameworks
- Develops deep understanding of tie-ins with other systems and platforms
- Writes code and unit tests, works on API specs, automation, and conducts code reviews and testing
- Identifies opportunities to adopt innovative technologies
- Works closely with product owners on feature sets that impact platform, services and frameworks
Who You Are:
- 5+ years of experience in software development, preferably in Java
- 5+ years of experience with design and implementation of distributed applications
- 3+ years of Linux experience, ideally contributed to open source projects
- 2+ years of experience with AWS APIs and cloud provisioning frameworks, preferably HashiCorp Terraform
- Bachelor's in CS required. Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience, is preferred
- Ability to effectively interpret technical and business objectives and to articulate solutions, to think abstractly and deal with problems
- Demonstrated willingness to learn new technologies, and takes pride in how fast they develop working software
- Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science, and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
- We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers. (REF)
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means.