Software Quality Engineer – Search
- San Francisco, CA, USA
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers page:www.workforancestry.com
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means
Ancestry is looking for a passionate Software Quality Engineer to design and implement automated testing in the CI/CD pipelines testing both code and data quality. You will steer the development teams toward better test strategies and enable them to implement and maintain deterministic test automation. You will prepare test plans and cases and write automation towards the completion of those cases. Some ad-hoc, manual testing may be required based on the determined risk of the release.
You should have a passion for data quality, software testing, a great customer experience, API test automation, and working in an agile context. In this role, you will mentor, coach, and work directly with development teams to promote adoption of testing best practices and tools. You will lead and coordinate efforts with third party testers on their development teams.
- Develop data-oriented test strategies, create test plans, execute test cases both manually and via automation to test Ancestry search products and data Integrations.
- Develop automation strategy to develop automated tests to validate large data sets.
- Use Solr APIs to validate resulting indexed data set.
- Collaborate with the product and engineering teams to analyze, debug and resolve issues.
- Create/Evaluate test tools to improve the test process, test coverage, and overall quality.
- Participate in Sprint planning meeting and daily stand-ups to stay on top of things and report progress.
- Work closely with Scrum team members to clarify requirements, ensure testability and automatability and provide feedback on design (functional and technical).
- Analyze the potential impact of the requirement changes, assess risk and be a vocal champion for quality in every phase of the development process.
- Continue to improve automation coverage & reduce regression cycles.
- Bachelors Degree in Computer Science is required, Masters preferred
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of industry software testing experience developing and maintaining API test automation in addition to academic and internship experience
- Verifiable working knowledge of testing of HTTP (REST, JSON, XML) and non-HTTP protocols (Protobuf preferred)
- Fluency in test automation using Java and Solr
- Demonstrable experience of software development and agile software test lifecycles
- Experience with continuous testing practices in a CI/CD development pipeline, and deploying test automation in the dev pipeline
- Experience working in an Agile Development environment
- Knowledge of current test automation tools and frameworks (ie: Selenium, TestNG, JUnit, Postman, RestAssured, JMeter)
- Experience maintaining, setting up and using SonarQube for static analysis and quality gates preferred
- Experience using performance testing tools and processes a plus
- Working knowledge of AWS, Jenkins, continuous delivery, Git preferred
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers.