Business Development Manager (Historical Content Acquisition)
- London, UK
Ancestry is the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science, and technology to develop new experiences to help everyone, everywhere discover the story of what led to them. Ancestry offers a suite of family history products and services including AncestryDNA, Archives, ProGenealogists, Newspapers.com and Fold3. We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission- to help every person discover, preserve and share the story of what led to them.
Ancestry has more than 1,400 employees in locations across the globe. Headquartered in Utah, Ancestry has offices in San Francisco, Dublin, London, Sydney, and Munich.
Ancestry is seeking a talented Business Development Manager (Content Acquisition Manager) to support Ancestry.co.uk, which serves the United Kingdom market. The position reports to the Senior Director, Global Content Acquisition (based in Provo, Utah), with a dotted line in to the Country Manager, United Kingdom and Ireland and is based in the heart of London.
This is an exciting opportunity to work for a dynamic, fast-growing and truly global online technology business. Working as part of the London and Dublin team and closely with our partners and colleagues overseas, you will help ensure that a healthy content pipeline continues to drive further growth to the United Kingdom and Ireland business.
We are looking for an experienced Business Development Manager with a love of history and a passion for sharing it with the world, to take the lead on Ancestry’s historical content acquisition across the United Kingdom. In this role you will:
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders at archives and other institutions & organisations across the UK as well as local genealogy and history communities
- Actively seek out new sources of content utilising partners, referrals, internal research teams, and the Internet for research and product knowledge
- Partner with content researchers to provide a clear understanding of the value and impact of each new collection to Marketing, Product, and Ancestry members
- Negotiate agreements for access to, and the rights to publish, content from the providers that support both the needs of the content owners and business imperatives for Ancestry
- Coordinate with digitisation operations and product teams to prepare requirements for production and delivery of projects
- Maintain a full-lifecycle view of new content collections including post-launch monitoring and evaluation to help the business maximize ROI and effectively merchandise content
- Work with members of the UK and Ireland team to ensure the effective integration of content in and around other business activities (Marketing, PR, etc.)
- Help develop case studies of inspiring stories of individuals or families that emerge from content
- Where appropriate act as a spokesperson for Ancestry in media articles and other PR opportunities to support launch of new content on site
- Manage events budget and represent Ancestry at selected archive and genealogy events and conferences in the UK and Ireland
- Contribute to Social Media activities and content where relevant
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
3-5 years of relevant experience in a consultative selling, business development, or content acquisition environment essential
Experience working with government entities strongly preferred
Background in working with archives, degree in history or experience working in the media in historical programming or publishing desirable: must be interested in and comfortable with history and historical records and the archives world. Strong Family History knowledge and experience in UK records a plus
Strong commercial acumen - must be able to understand the value of these records to Ancestry and the archive partners, and work as a team with colleagues in marketing, product and PR functions to optimize value and bring new collections to market.
Self-motivated, proactive, strong analytical and communication skills, enthusiasm about family history, organized and computer literate.
Ability to assess the value of various records to Ancestry and the archives and work to find win-win solutions in partnership with content owners.
Team player: must be ready and willing to ‘step up’ to a wide variety of tasks and activities that comes with working as part of a small team
Must be willing to travel (mostly European with some US travel)
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry.com Inc. is interested in you and we are dedicated to building a diverse workforce with equal opportunities for employment.
By applying for this position you will be supplying personal information to Ancestry Information Operations Company of 52/55 Sir John Rogersons Quay, Dublin 2, Ireland. Your information will also be shared with other companies within the Ancestry.com group. Your information will be used to assess your suitability for the advertised position. We also will retain the information you provide and use it to consider you for future vacancies and may contact you if such positions arise. If you want us to delete your information at any time please write to the HR team at the above address.