Director of Engineering, Health & Wellness
- San Francisco, CA, USA
Ancestry is seeking a Director of Engineering to join our team. AncestryDNA's Health & Wellness application engineering group will deliver new and unique products and services to our loyal and growing customer base. How many times in your career will you have an opportunity to play a pivotal part in the design, development, and deployment of a new exciting category of products and services?
Join our Health & Wellness group if you have the talent and desire to deliver innovative products and services at a rapid pace, serving our Ancestry customers seamlessly across digital, mobile, and social media. With us, you will have the unique opportunity to impact each and every Ancestry customer in a new and exciting way.
What you will do
- Provide technical leadership to the Health & Wellness group (including strategic technical leadership, team recruitment & management, and strategic collaboration with technical peers and/or leaders outside the engineering organization)
- Collaborate with engineering leaders, Ux designers, product owners, quality and regulatory teams and technical architects to plan, design, develop, test, and deploy new products and services
- Partner closely with our R&D team of Bioinformatics Scientists, Population Genomics experts and Lab scientists on their inventions and work with your development teams on incorporating the inventions for our customers.
- Provide high-level ownership of the final quality of your organization's deliverables through the use of industry-standard engineering best practices
- Lead in the analysis and resolution of technical and/or solution-related problems or roadblocks
- Provide direction and guidance to, and oversight of, managers within the Health & Wellness engineering group who will direct report to you
- Deliver ground-breaking health & wellness consumer products and services
Who You Are:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science is required (Masters preferred) are important
- Minimum 10+ year experience designing, building, and deploying large-scale, distributed, production quality consumer software products and services
- Minimum recent 5+ years managing software development teams including experience in managing other managers
- Experience in developing and delivering software under System Compliance Programs and Change Governance
- Prior experience with US FDA QSR, the European MDD, Canadian CMDCAS, ISO13485, Class II Medical Devices, and IVD experience all highly-regarded
- Health-related, consumer software product experience is ideal (i.e., B2C). Candidates with B2B health-related product experience also highly-valued
- Experience managing multiple teams
- Expertise in software development building micro-services architectures, web-scale architecture, and multi-platform consumer product applications (e.g., mobile, browser client, etc.)
- Proven track record of leading and mentoring a talented team of software managers and engineers
- A strong believer in leading by example and acting as a leadership role model throughout your day
- Mastery of Agile principles and Test-Driven Development
- Strong communication skills including a proven ability to effectively coordinate with product management, marketing and other business stakeholders
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment using agile or other rapid application development methods
- Strong experience in debugging, performance tuning and optimization for scalability and high availability
- Experience with large-scale cloud deployment (AWS preferred)
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers page:www.workforancestry.com
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means .
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.