- San Francisco, CA, USA
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
The DNA Science team’s goal is to deliver the next generation of consumer genomic tests to shed light on human health, wellness, diversity, origins, and relationships. As a Bioinformatics Engineer, you will help deliver on this mission by using your software engineering and genomics skills to support research and new product development for Ancestry’s direct-to-consumer DNA test. In this critical role, you will work in multidisciplinary teams to build complex genomic data analysis pipelines and cloud infrastructure. This office-based position will be at our headquarters in Lehi, Utah or our office in San Francisco, California.
What you will do:
- Partner with scientists to create and maintain software that analyzes genomic data from array and sequencing experiments with the goal of creating products in health, wellness, and ethnicity
- Improve software to optimize performance, usability, and research reproducibility
- Work with other Bioinformatics engineers to build and support a scalable cloud environment used by Ancestry’s DNA Science team
- Collaborate with Engineering teams to transition research software to production
- Champion coding and software best practices to improve software quality
- Bachelors or Masters degree in Computer Science, Genetics, Physics, Engineering or other quantitative field with 3 years of professional experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Expertise in several of the following: Python, R, AWS, SQL, Java, C++, Shell scripting, git, and Hadoop/Spark in a distributed Unix environment
- Ability to debug and optimize research grade software
- Experience developing regulated health products in pharma, clinical diagnostics, or biotech
- Experience writing software to process biological datasets from technologies such as microarray or Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
- Self-starter with strong communication skills and sense of ownership to complete projects independently while thriving in team environment
- Able to apply feedback in a professional manner
- Experience designing, building, and supporting complex software and distributed compute systems
- Knowledge of HPC job schedulers (ex. SLURM, SGE), Terraform, and cloud reporting systems
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.