Big Data Engineer (Staff or Principal level) - Ancestry (Lehi, UT)
- Lehi, UT, USA
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers page online.
Ancestry's Content Tech team is looking for an experienced Data Engineer who has a passion to build data products and data systems. This is a full time position based in Lehi, UT.
Key Responsibilities / Performance Requirements:
- Build and maintain code to manage historical record data content in the Ancestry Data Lake
- Design, build and support pipelines of data transformation, conversion, validation
- Design and support effective storage and retrieval of Big Data >100Tb
- Design and maintain platform to enhance and augment record data to improve search and hinting
- Assess the impact of external production system changes to Big Data systems on Hadoop or Spark and implement changes to the ETL to ensure consistent and accurate data flows.
- Design and implement best practices for cloud based cluster deployments of Hadoop, Spark, and other BigData eco-system tools.
- AWS Cloud deployments or experience with Azure or Google Cloud
- 10+ years total industry experience.
- Experience leading the design and implementation of at least 2 big data projects involving 8 or more engineers each with at least 1 project being implemented on Spark.
- 5+ years working on big data projects (Spark, Hadoop, or other technologies) either as an individual contributor or as a technical lead.
- 3-5 years experience with ETL / data flow tool (Nifi, SSIS, Talend, etc)
- 2-4 years experience with columnar database such as Redshift, HP Vertica, or Terradata, etc.
- 5-8 years experience in one or more of the following languages: Scala, Java, Python/Jython, C#, Clojure, Ruby, C++
- Experience with Test Driven Code Development, SCM tools such as GIT, SVN, Jenkins build and deployment automation.
- Experience implementing open source technologies.
- Strong database experience with MySQL, MSSQL or equivalent
- RESTFul web service development
- Experience with Hbase or comparable NoSQL.
- Experience with Terraform, CloudFormation, or other infrastructure as code tool
- Strong grasp of algorithms and data structures
- Good familiarity with in Linux/Unix, scripting and administration
- Experience with AWS Cloud automated deployments.
- MS/BS/PH.D Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent plus a minimum of 5-8 years relevant experience.
- Familiarity with data formats and serialization, XML, JSON, AVRO, Parquet, Thrift, ProtoBuf
- Strong communication skills
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.