Engineering Development Manager - Ancestry, Discovery Services Platform Team
- Lehi, UT, USA
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers page online.
More on what this team does:
A major component of the Ancestry customer experience is helping users find their ancestors and discover new insights about them. The Discovery Services Platform team is the backend team that brings billions of historical records and millions of DNA samples together to provide APIs to internal and external development teams so they can deliver personally enriching data to our customers.
A visionary for this role:
Ancestry is seeking an exceptional, passionate and motivated engineering leader, to join our Discovery Services Platform team. This critical role will lead a software development team that is the foundation for all next generation experiences for Ancestry customers. This is a hands-on manager, who will both manage and help lead the technical direction of this large data store and help other teams integrate with these services. This team is mainly focused on the back-end services of Ancestry. We use the latest tools and technologies to create high performance services that run at scale. Experience with large datasets, data analytics, and database architecture is critical to managing this team.
You will work in partnership with Product, Data Science, and other Engineering teams, while you manage a team of 8 senior software developers.
- Provide technical leadership to your team of software developers (also identifying opportunities for technical advancements and own their delivery)
- Work on development efforts towards successful feature delivery for improved discovery experiences for customers and application developers
- Maintain high standards for software quality by establishing good practices and habits and automated checks
- Collaborate with software developers, product owners, architects to plan, design, develop, and test applications
- Analyze and resolve technical and solution related issues
- Research and evaluate software products that might fit the needs of the solution better (e.g. if emerging technologies can improve our performance, scale, etc.)
- Keep team up with evolving industry standards and best practices
- Manage and work within an AWS budget and execute on cost savings projects
Minimum Years of Experience needed in all:
- 8 years prior platform development experience with a minimum of 5 years working on large scale systems
- 3 years of experience leading, growing, and developing a team
- 3 years of relational database experience, Aurora preferred
- Bachelor's in Computer Science degree (or related discipline) required
- Server side technologies - Java preferred
- Frameworks (Spring preferred)
- Microservices based architecture (REST)
- Continuous deploy and integration tools like Jenkins
- Designing and developing enterprise grade software in fast-paced distributed environments (highly scalable, reliable, available)
- Agile methodologies (SCRUM)
- Debugging, performance profiling and optimization
- Cloud based infrastructure experience – AWS preferred
- Docker and Kubernetes experience
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.