Performance Engineering, Intern
- San Francisco, CA, USA
It takes customer obsession to pioneer and focus on what matters most, to tackle challenges, break through boundaries to create change, to stay on the cutting edge, and pioneer relentlessly. We are looking for the next generation of talent to drive the business, grow our people, and put the customer before all else.
Our culture empowers journeys of personal discovery, giving you the freedom to participate in impactful projects and explore the intersections of our businesses: technology, data science, DNA science, product, design, marketing, legal, and more. We’re looking for innovative minds, diverse ideas, and for students interested in connecting personal discoveries and technology. Our interns enjoy mentorship and experience challenging work while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a fun captivating experience—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
The Performance team is responsible for the performance of the Ancestry site, which includes improving performance that results in increased conversion of new customers, retention of existing customers, and reductions in the cost of operations through the profiling, tuning, and right sizing of the various services that make up the site. As a Performance Engineer Intern you will participate in the development of performance tests and subsequent execution of those tests in profiling, tuning, and right sizing those stacks through the proper configuration of autoscaling. You will also participate in the deep assessment of web page delivery times to our customers, and will learn how to identify improvements that can be made that impact all pages site-wide as well as improvements that teams can make to improve the performance and resiliency for those pages they own. We are also currently building an advanced performance and load framework that candidates with the right skills (ReactJs, Java, Python, or AWS services), can participate in the development of in advancing our capabilities. This is a technically challenging engineer position that will provide exposure to the breadth of the engineering disciplines in delivering products and services in a cloud based (AWS) environment. You’ll have the opportunity to work with industry experts, who will mentor you in taking ownership for work that is challenging and rewarding with a team that’s fun to work with.
In Collaboration with an Engineering Mentor, What You’ll Do:
- Develop performance tests using JMeter and then assess the performance and scalability of services based on Linux, Java, NodeJS, or Windows services; evaluating resource utilization and tuning stacks to be more performance.
- Participate in the development and maintenance of performance engineering load frameworks and reporting frameworks, using Java, ReactJs, Python, and MySQL.
- Profile the performance of the Web Page Frontends using SpeedCurve, WepPageTest, Google Lighthouse, and other open source tools. Identify areas for improvement and work with owning teams to improve the performance that our customers experience in using the product.
- Work with teams to create additional instrumentation in their products, in order to increase our visibility into the user experience metrics, which impacts the conversion of new users and retention of existing users. This could include gathering and analyzing data related to user workflows with drop-out rates and other insights that we can act upon.
- Collaborate with teams to establish Service Level Agreements for performance and error rates for their microservice endpoints and webpage load times.
Who You Are:
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s, master’s or Ph.D. level degree
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2019
- Software development experience with one or multiple of the following: Java on Linux, NodeJS, and ReactJs is desired.
- Server side development insights and experience beneficial
- Solid communications and collaboration skills are very important, will be working with engineering teams across the organization
- Problem solving and analytical skills are important, will be analyzing systems performance, looking at all technical attributes of system that could impact performance
- Will create reports and communicate findings, so sufficient writing skills are important to convey findings and insights
Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records, and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than three million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites with an extensive collection of over 10 billion digitized historical records and has sold over 14 million AncestryDNA kits to date. Since 1996, users have created over 100 million family trees and 11 billion ancestor profiles on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites. Ancestry offers a suite of family history products and services including AncestryDNA, Archives, AncestryProGenealogists, Newspapers.com and Fold3. AncestryDNA is owned and operated by Ancestry.com DNA, LLC, a subsidiary of Ancestry.com Holdings LLC.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.