- San Francisco, CA, USA
Ancestry is seeking a Patent Agent to join our vibrant and growing legal team in the San Francisco office. This key role will be supporting our IT, Corporate, DNA, Health and Science organizations. This role will report to our Associate General Counsel.
What you will do:
- Conduct innovation and invention disclosure sessions with inventors worldwide to drive innovation and capture inventions arising out of Ancestry’s businesses and technologies.
- Assess invention disclosures and conduct prior art analysis to develop invention disclosures and select for submission to patent committee
- Participate in regular patent committee meetings to review invention disclosures and make patent operational decisions with technical leads
- Manage office actions, foreign filing decisions, appeals, continuations, new filings, and occasionally draft applications to ensure compliance with varying global patent prosecution and enforcement systems
- Participate in and drive processes for strategic and quality review of preparation and prosecution of patent applications
- Assist in analysis of applications/patents being considered for use in licensing, acquisition, or divestiture
- Prepare, file, and prosecute patent applications before the US Patent Office
- Perform prior art searches and analysis
- Perform patentability analysis
- Prepare substantive client correspondence
- Assist in patent clearance studies and other patent-related opinion projects
- Oversee implementation and expansion of inventor recognition program
- A degree in the fields of engineering, computer science, physics, or math.
- Strong analytical, research, writing, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- 3-5 years of law firm experience
- USPTO registration
Working for Ancestry
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are. For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry.com as a result of the referral or through other means. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.