Machine Learning Engineering, Intern
- San Francisco, CA, USA
It takes customer obsession to pioneer and focus on what matters most, to tackle challenges, break through boundaries to create change, to stay on the cutting edge, and pioneer relentlessly. We are looking for the next generation of talent to drive the business, grow our people, and put the customer before all else.
Our culture empowers journeys of personal discovery, giving you the freedom to participate in impactful projects and explore the intersections of our businesses: technology, data science, DNA science, product, design, marketing, legal, and more. We’re looking for innovative minds, diverse ideas, and for students interested in connecting personal discoveries and technology. Our interns enjoy mentorship and experience challenging work while receiving fantastic pay, fully-paid temporary housing, and having a fun captivating experience—we have it all. Oh, and did we mention the possibility of full-time employment once you graduate?
Ancestry seeks a highly motivated, internet-savvy Machine Learning Engineering intern to join our data science team. The data science team is on the mission to bring the best genealogy experience to connect people and families to be closer than it has ever been before and to discover the journey of our ancestors by data. As a Machine Learning Engineering intern on the Data Science team you will work with DNA scientists, data scientists, analytics, products and engineers to deploy our current and new products.
- Investigate and understand data
- Expend and apply knowledge in software development, cloud architecture, machine learning, statistic, econometrics, and analytics
- Develop code to deploy models and pipelines to the AWS
- Partner and develop strong relations with cross-functional teams across product, genomics science, and data science
- Develop deep understanding of the cloud architecture, machine learning, independently solve problems, perform tests, and deploy model
Who You Are:
- Currently pursuing a master’s or Ph.D. level degree in computer science or related discipline
- Must be currently enrolled in a university and graduating after Summer 2019
- Proficiency in Python, Java. Familiarity with relational database and query language
- Understanding of machine learning, deep learning, and tools used in model development and deployment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Not afraid of asking questions and willing to learn and grow together as a team
- Experience with cloud technology (AWS) is a plus
- Comfortable working with very large data sets is a plus (Spark, Hadoop)
For more information on what we do and to apply to open Ancestry internships, visit our careers page: https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/careers/search-jobs/department/internships
Ancestry, the global leader in family history and consumer genomics, harnesses the information found in family trees, historical records, and DNA to help people gain a new level of understanding about their lives. Ancestry has more than three million paying subscribers across its core Ancestry websites with an extensive collection of over 10 billion digitized historical records and has sold over 14 million AncestryDNA kits to date. Since 1996, users have created over 100 million family trees and 11 billion ancestor profiles on the Ancestry flagship site and its affiliated international websites. Ancestry offers a suite of family history products and services including AncestryDNA, Archives, AncestryProGenealogists, Newspapers.com and Fold3. AncestryDNA is owned and operated by Ancestry.com DNA, LLC, a subsidiary of Ancestry.com Holdings LLC.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.