Technical Product Manager
- Lehi, UT, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
For more info on who we are, please visit: https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/
Ancestry is looking for a phenomenal Senior Technical Product Manager to join our growing team in Lehi, Utah. This role will lead the product direction of a large, technical platform to unlock increased value within all Ancestry products by integrating data science and machine learning into the Ancestry.com platform. You will work with industry-leading data and computer scientists to invent new ways to make it faster, more fun, and easier for people to discover their family history. The unique discoveries they can uncover about themselves and their family that can only be enabled through our world-class technology. You will work broadly across Ancestry, helping teams across multiple product lines and business units leverage this platform and your inventions to hit key business metrics and make your vision a reality. Success in this role means hitting higher-level business outcomes for Ancestry as a whole and unlocking entirely new customer experiences.
This position requires an experienced product manager with solid technical understanding, deep experience working with complex software systems and extensive experience with large data sets and machine learning. This position also requires someone who can articulate a big vision and break it down into bite-size, actionable steps.
What You Will Do:
- Create and articulate a vision of how advances in data science and machine learning will evolve Ancestry’s business and Platform.
- Provide strategic direction to teams of data and computer scientists.
- Understand and champion the end-consumer use-cases that rely on this new platform
- Define requirements for a complex technical system that includes technologies such as Solr, ElasticSearch, Aurora, Redis, Queues, & EMR processes
- Lead a cross-functional team to produce and successfully launch a new family history platform and its associated data models and machine learning algorithms at scale
- Write detailed business and technical requirements for services and APIs needs across the organization
- Work closely with product development teams throughout the company to understand their needs and incorporate them into the broader set of requirements
- Define customer, client, algorithm, and business success metrics and reporting needs to monitor post-launch performance
- Work with other product managers to improve the underlying quality of our data sets and data services
- Drive continual product improvements and inform the product roadmap with new ideas based on ongoing customer research, market/competitive analysis, and product performance (based on the aforementioned metrics)
Who You Are:
- Bachelor's degree, ideally computer science, mathematics, or similar discipline. Alternatively, equivalent experience in software development.
- Experience with natural language processing and entity-resolution problems; must have worked with platforms that are data science, machine learning based
- Experience with machine learning algorithms including relationship graphs and recommendation systems
- Passion for creating solutions to complex problems
- Knowledge of applied statistics
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Effective communications skills (written and oral), presentation techniques, meeting mechanics, and team building skills
- Excellent quantitative and analytical skills Experience with family history preferred
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.