Data Scientist - Search
- San Francisco, CA, USA
We’re a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission—to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what led to them. Combining the rich information in family trees and historical records with the genetic details revealed in DNA, we create unique experiences that give people a new understanding of their lives, because connecting all the pieces of our family story can give us the deepest sense of who we are.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit our careers page:www.workforancestry.com
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means
Ancestry helps people to find their ancestors and discover their family history. The Search
Relevance team builds the matching engine of Ancestry’s core product. As a Data Scientist, you
will be part of a global data science team. You will help our users to find their ancestors and
discover interesting family history events. You will utilize cutting edge machine learning
algorithms and statistical analysis techniques to improve our mobile and web search system.
• Ranking algorithms for search accuracy and recall
• Machine Learning for index optimization and improvements
• Feature engineering for people, family, records, photos and more
• NLP for query and document analysis, processing and understanding at a large scale
• Ranking result evaluation and analysis
• MS or PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics or related field
• Research experience in a relevant field, such as information retrieval, machine learning,
NLP or recommendation systems
• Solid modeling skills in Python or R
• Solid understanding of core CS algorithms and good coding skills in Python or Java
• Experience with Big Data, such as Hadoop/Hbase/Pig/Hive is a plus
• Experience with Solr/Elasticsearch is a plus
• Experience with Spark is a plus
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Proven track record of achieving significant engineering or academic results
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.