Content Editor- Contextual Content
- Lehi, UT, USA
Ancestry seeks a Content Editor who is passionate about storytelling to join our Contextual Content team. The Contextual Content team works to bring pioneering technology, historical records, and curated contextual content together in order to empower others in the telling of their story.
As Content Editor you will conduct historical and collections-based research, conduct final reviews and edits on submitted writing assignments, and prepare completed content for publication. As final reviewer you will be essential in ensuring that the tone and style of the final product is aligned with Ancestry’s standards. A critical element of success for this position is supporting and closely collaborating with the Content Editor and team of writers. This position is also responsible for managing deadlines and ensuring the Contextual Content team successfully delivers projects on time.
This position reports to the Program Manager of Contextual Content and will work closely with them to ensure the quality of the final product. The ideal candidate will be a capable and effective Content Editor with a demonstrated ability to produce high quality work under tight deadlines.
What You'll Do:
- Copyediting and proofreading assignments for the Contextual Content team.
- Final approval and publication prep on all assignments for the Contextual Content team.
- Assist with the selection and approval of images and other media.
- Closely collaborate with the Content Editor to provide ongoing training, feedback, and support to the writers; including onboarding new writers to the team.
- Ensure each assignment follows: the style guidelines, is consistent in quality and tone, complies with department goals and values, and demonstrates audience awareness.
- Conduct historical and collections-based research.
- Work closely with the Program Manager to execute the editorial calendar and ensure projects are handed off on time.
- Support the Program Manager in recommending new topics/stories.
- Provide status updates and reports to the Program Manager and the Director of Content Strategy as requested.
- Successfully implement operational strategies and best practices.
- Collaborate challenging situations to deliver positive results.
- Anticipate potential problems in order to mitigate risks to timelines and stakeholder expectations.
- Take ownership of quality and efficiency expectations and results for the team.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the Program Manager.
Who You Are:
- Degree in communications, journalism, English, history or related field.
- 2+ years professional writing/editing experience.
- Excellent writing and proofreading/editing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and implement guidelines and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to a style guide and tone.
- Strong internet and research skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several tasks simultaneously.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated self-starter with the desire and energy to achieve goals under tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Advocates customer thinking.
- Flexible and adaptable with the ability to quickly get up to speed on new tasks and tools.
- Background in history or family history helpful.
- Experience leading/managing a group of contributors preferred.
Ancestry is a cutting-edge tech company with a very human mission: to help every person discover, preserve, and share the story of what lead to them. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, and we use this powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people uncover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
Along with the chance to change lives and work with a fantastic group of people, we also offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits you can visit: https://www.ancestrybenefits.com/greatplacetowork.