Chief Medical Officer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Leading a small medical affairs team, you will work closely with a diverse interdisciplinary team, including science, product, technology, supply chain, and marketing to launch a series of product that seeks to revolutionize how genetic and health information is delivered and used by consumers and physicians to improve health outcomes. This position reports to the Executive Vice President and General Manager of AncestryDNA.
What you will do
- Provide medical leadership to internal teams to ensure the clinician perspective is integrated into business strategy and product design.
- In collaboration with the CSO, initiate and maintain scientific and clinical engagement with recognized key opinion leaders and subject matter experts.
- Support regulatory activities, in collaboration with the Chief Legal Officer and VP of Regulatory and Quality Assurance, by contributing to strategic positioning, key regulatory agency interactions and regulatory submissions.
- Expand and maintain the existing clinical network with external medical/scientific experts and key opinion leaders.
- Create and implement vehicles to collect insights from healthcare providers (physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, pharmacists, etc.)
- Provide clinical guidance, support and education to stakeholders and participate in the development of consumer and business marketing materials
- Represent the company and its products through presentations at conferences, congresses and symposia.
- Ensure that all clinical programs are conducted according to appropriate medical/scientific standards, on time and within budget.
- Manage the presentation of key clinical findings to internal and external stakeholders, on request.
- Keep abreast of emerging trends in health care delivery; identify and define new and innovative strategies to achieve business goals and objectives.
- Monitor the competitive landscape closely and assist the company in adapting its strategy in response to changes in the external environment.
- Provide input for budget development - working closely with the General Manager and DNA Sr Staff.
- Represent the company in discussions/presentations with potential partners and evaluate their capabilities.
- Participate in all significant scientific, business and policy decisions impacting the clinical utility and quality of testing services.
- Honors requests for consultations from clinicians regarding the appropriateness and interpretation of laboratory tests.
You are a strategic thinker who drives execution and embraces innovation in healthcare. You believe that getting consumers the right information in an effective and secure manner is critical to enabling them to select the best paths forward to preserve and increase their personal health and the health of their families. You are keenly interested in leveraging technology and data at scale to drive better outcomes through personalized prevention and treatment approaches. You want to empower consumers by integrating health technologies into their personal health care delivery, wellness and daily lives. You can effectively envision the big picture, communicate that vision to inspire others, and roll up your sleeves to make that vision a reality. You also have the following skills and experiences:
- M.D. with a minimum of 6-10 years in the clinical diagnostics, medical device, or pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry.
- Minimum of 6 years of medical affairs or clinical development leadership experience managing, mentoring and growing successful teams.
- Deep understanding and compelling vision for the use of personalized medicine (now and in the future) to prevent and treat multiple disease areas.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with KOLs and advisors as a peer.
- Biased toward action and motivated by working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment that rewards initiative, collaboration, and accountability.
- Able to support the company in making the right strategic choices regarding how to further develop its health and wellness products.
- Expertise in clinical development as demonstrated through multiple successful in vitro diagnostics (LDT and/or commercial).
- Demonstrated success working effectively and efficiently with regulatory agencies (e.g. US CMS, US FDA, UK MHRA) via advisory committees and/or submissions.
- Knowledge of CLIA Law & Regulations and FDA Medical Device Regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership of successful teams with a history of developing a culture of collaboration, communication, and transparency.
- Demonstrated success working with a multi-disciplinary team of peers.
- Demonstrated understanding of strategic commercial drivers of consumer-driven health care.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills, high EQ, and a genuine team player.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities, ability to handle multiple, competing tasks and make decisions efficiently.
- Excellent written and verbal skills and the ability to communicate to clinicians, scientists and laypeople clearly, concisely and effectively.
- Thrives in an environment that is continuously evolving as genomic discoveries push the envelope of what we can learn and discern about our genetic and family histories.
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.