Senior/Principal Systems Engineer
- San Francisco, CA, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry is looking for a Senior/Principal Software Quality Engineer to define, create, develop and uphold best-in-class standards as we continue to scale our rapidly growing health products and operations. This is an exciting time to be a key integral part of the quality and regulatory affairs team. In this role, you will understand and implement processes and procedures that meet the regulated environment that the R&D group operates within. We need a key leader who can be a part of our concept-through completion journey. We need someone who’s been a part of regulated product software quality in their career (because quality is a passion of yours). This is not a role managing people; this is an opportunity to define, create, collaborate and implement processes which will take our products to the next level. If you want to be a valuable member behind something amazing, this could be an opportunity for you!
- Working within the quality and regulatory affairs team and with product owners, developers and software quality assurance engineers and actively contributing to all aspects of regulated Software QA at Ancestry.
- Ensure the quality of cloud computing/SaaS software systems by overseeing the design, development, and test of software related to cloud/SaaS computing during our entire software development life cycle, from the requirements gathering phase through software validation to the product delivery phase.
- Manage quality during Software development activities, which encompass creation and review of requirements, design specifications, code and design reviews, Unit/ Integration tests, test automation, ad-hoc/exploratory test activities, risk management including Preliminary Hazard Analyses, Fault Tree Analyses, FMEAs and Risk Management Report.
- Creation and execution of validation protocols to perform system level validation of product, report any issues discovered and follow up corrective actions to resolve issues.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- 7+ years of related work experience
- Experience working in regulated medical device industry is preferred; Experience with IVD medical device industry is desired
- Experience working with device/diagnostic software following IEC 62304 and FDA guidance on Pre-Market submissions required.
- Experience working with risk management for software per ISO 14971 required.
- Experience working with an Agile software process desired, not required.
- Understanding of Software Development Life Cycle using Agile
- Must understand IT basic infra-structure designs like inbound/outbound connection, subnets, ACL, SSL, Certification Management, etc. and AWS cloud computing components (S3, ECS, EC2, CloudWatch, etc.).
- Knowledge of Cybersecurity is desired
- Understanding of HIPAA and GDPR compliance practices is desired
- Must be detail oriented and have a passion to “Build Quality In” to the products
- Must possess excellent organizational, clear verbal and written communication skills
- Must be team-oriented with people skills and positive can-do attitude in dealing with large number of customers, and several competing tasks from various departments.
Ancestry is a profitable, growing company with a positive, high-energy environment. Together, our dedicated teams are harnessing the power of technology and using it to simplify the way people connect with their families and their unique legacies. Our work environment is fast-paced and challenging, but also extremely exciting. You’ll work with a team of passionate, engaged individuals. We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related thereto), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, age (40 and older), mental or physical disability (including HIV and AIDS), medical condition (cancer and genetic characteristics), veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis that is prohibited by applicable law. The Company also makes reasonable accommodations to applicants or employees with qualifying disabilities who request them and who otherwise meet the requirements of applicable law. If you would like to request an accommodation during the application process, please contact our Director of Recruiting.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of San Francisco's Fair Chance Ordinance.