Content Writer - Contextual Content (Contractor)
- Lehi, UT, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry seeks a Content Writer who is passionate about storytelling to join our Contextual Content team as a contractor. The Contextual Content team works to bring pioneering technology, historical records, and curated contextual content together in order to empower others in the telling of their story.
As a Content Writer you will work closely with the Content Editor in a collaborative process to complete writing assignments for the Contextual Content team. A critical element of success for this position is ensuring that the tone and style of the final product is aligned with Ancestry’s standards. This position is also responsible for managing deadlines and ensuring that they successfully deliver assignments on time.
This position reports to the Program Manager and will work closely with them and the Content Editor to ensure the quality of the final product. The ideal candidate will be a capable and effective writer with a demonstrated ability to produce high quality work under tight deadlines.
This is a contractor position with the option to work either remotely or from the Lehi, UT location.
What You’ll Do:
- Closely collaborate with the Content Editor to revise and develop each writing assignment to completion.
- Consistently complete all writing assignments by submission deadlines.
- Ensure each assignment follows: the style guidelines, is consistent in quality and tone, complies with department goals and values, and demonstrates audience awareness.
- Conduct in-depth historical research to support each assignment.
- Ensure presented facts and information are supported by thorough research.
- Provide status updates and reports to the Content Editor and the Program Manager as requested.
Who You Are:
- Prefer degree in communications, journalism, English, history or related field or equivalent professional writing experience.
- Excellent writing/editing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and implement guidelines and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to a style guide and tone.
- Strong internet and research skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated self-starter with the desire and energy to achieve goals under tight deadlines.
- Background in history or family history helpful.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.