Content Editor - Contextual Content (Contractor)
- Lehi, UT, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
Ancestry seeks a Content Editor who is passionate about storytelling to join our Contextual Content team as a contractor. The Contextual Content team works to bring pioneering technology, historical records, and curated contextual content together to empower others in the telling of their story.
As Content Editor you will work closely with multiple writers in a collaborative process to edit, revise and proofread their work, developing each assignment until it is ready for publication. As part of the editorial process you will also be responsible for completing both plagiarism and fact checks for all submitted assignments. A critical element of success for this position is ensuring that the tone and style of the final product is aligned with Ancestry’s standards. This position is also responsible for managing deadlines and ensuring that the team successfully deliveries assignments on time.
This position reports to the Program Manager and will work closely with them and the Contextual Content team to ensure the quality of the final product. The ideal candidate will be a capable and effective editor with a demonstrated ability to produce high quality work under tight deadlines.
This is a contractor position with the option to work either remotely or from the Lehi, UT location.
What You’ll Do:
- Copyedit and proofread all assignments for the Contextual Content team and submit the finalized versions for publication.
- Closely collaborate with the Contextual Content writers to revise and develop each writing assignment to completion.
- Ensure each assignment follows: the style guidelines, is consistent in quality and tone, complies with department goals and values, and demonstrates audience awareness.
- Complete thorough fact checks on names, dates, etc.
- Conduct plagiarism checks on all submitted assignments.
- Collaborate to provide ongoing training, feedback, and support to the writers; including onboarding new writers to the team.
- Work closely with the Contextual Content team and Program Manager to execute the editorial calendar.
- Provide status updates and reports to the Program Manager as requested.
- Collaborate challenging situations to deliver positive results.
- Anticipate potential problems in order to mitigate risks to timelines and stakeholder expectations.
Who You Are:
- Degree in communications, journalism, English, history or related field preferred.
- Minimum 2+ years professional editing/writing experience.
- Experience leading/managing a group of contributors preferred.
- Excellent writing and proofreading/editing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret and implement guidelines and standards.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to a style guide and tone.
- Strong internet and research skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize several tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrated self-starter with the desire and energy to achieve goals under tight deadlines.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting.
- Background in history or family history helpful.
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
All job offers are contingent on a background check screen that complies with applicable law. For San Francisco office candidates, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Ancestry will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.