Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET / Automation) - Ancestry (Lehi, UT)
- Lehi, UT, USA
When you join Ancestry, you join our family tree. Backed by history, science, and technology, we’re creating a new world of connection, innovation, and understanding. Whether it’s reuniting long-lost relatives through DNA or unearthing new family stories from historical records, Ancestry empowers life-changing experiences. With over 10 billion digitized historical records, 100 million family trees, and 14 million DNA kits sold, Ancestry is bringing the power of personal discovery to people around the world.
For more information on what we do and why you would want to work at Ancestry, visit https://www.ancestry.com/corporate/careers
Come be a part of our Lehi, UT team:
The DNA Health and Wellness team is seeking an Intermediate (5-6 years experience) Software Engineer in Test to help us grow in some pretty exciting new initiatives we have for our consumers. You’ll be joining a team of 6 other Engineers, being the 7th to complete this Scrum team. We get to innovate and create, while also maintaining robust Enterprise systems for our DNA supply chain needs. If passion for quality software is your expertise, come apply to learn more about what this opportunity could mean for your career!
The Ancestry DNA Health and Wellness Team
- You will work within a dedicated group of friendly, collaborative and passionate teammates
- We cultivate a lively team spirit & an easygoing office vibe, and as a small team we’re able to maintain that cozy family-feel
- At the same time, we always encourage each other to challenge convention and to continue finding better ways to delight our members
We are looking for an experienced Software Development Engineer in Test (SDET) to join the DNA Health and Wellness Team in Lehi which supports our Operations team, shipping & DNA banking facilities, labs, and other mission-critical DNA kit fulfillment needs. SDET’s are an important part of the development team and are responsible for the full spectrum of test planning, design, automation, and regression.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with Dev Team and evaluate the product design, architecture, and requirements.
- Develop test plans to analyze, justify and document the status of each phase of application testing.
- Perform analysis, design, and development of test automation tools, and frameworks: unit tests, integration tests for external services, load/performance tests, and continuous integration/deployment integration.
- Participate in defining automation test objectives, strategies, standards and best practices.
- Research new technology and development tools to remain abreast of current technology.
- Guide testability, automation feasibility and traceability requirements in product design.
- Participate in code reviews.
Must have, at a minimum:
- BS in Computer Science is required
- 2-5 years of backend software development in test and test automation experience (Java and REST is preferred)
- Working knowledge of Agile (Scrum, XP, etc.) project planning and execution
- Solid understanding of Java and object-oriented design.
- Proficient in Shell scripts implementation tools or program for testing.
- Understanding of unit test frameworks (JUnit, TestNG) and Java mocking frameworks (Mockito, JMock)
- Skills in SQL Database
Would be nice to have (or an opportunity for career growth):
- Skills in AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes would be a wonderful skill to have, yet we’ll bring you up to speed if you don’t have it and are hoping to for the opportunity to learn it!
- Familiar with test automation platform/software (Jenkins etc.)
- Experience in Test Automation, and software testing lifecycles (Maven or Gradle)
Ancestry is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Ancestry via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Ancestry. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Ancestry as a result of the referral or through other means.
Ancestry is an Equal Opportunity Employer that makes employment decisions without regard to race, color, religious creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, mental or physical disability, medical condition, military or veteran status, citizenship, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. In addition, Ancestry will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities